Question about stamp pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

Ok guys, i have a customer that wanted a stamp pen, their family owns a coin/stamp/jewelry store. I went to the owner (that's who the pen is for) had him pic out his favorites, for his pen that he doesnt know about, on my way to making this pen. I followed the directions from the library article step by step, cast the pen and some of the stamps desentagrated. They are just a cloudy blur. What did I do wrong in this process.

I painted the tubes
glued the stamps (didnt use 80/20 glue water since it was for movement purposes)
let it dry for a few minutes and they cast it is Poly resin
desentagrated stamps are the outcome.

I just reread the article, it doesnt seem I missed a step, what did I do wrong? These stamps are all pre 1900 and a pretty penny to replace. But I think I have enough for another, but before I screw up another one I wanted to ask here and see if I did something wrong.

Thanks for your help:confused:

ossaguy

I've had the best results with brushing on Mod Podge on the backs to glue in place,then brushing on a coat of Mod Podge over the stamps.Then let it dry,then give another coat.Then I let it dry for 24 hrs,then I give it several coats of med ca.

At that point I send it off for casting,if I am making a roundish-profile pen.

If it's a straight barrel like a Zen,Doing it the decoupage way has worked nice too.
I do all the same steps as above,except instead of a bare painted tube,I'll underturn a wooden blank instead and just use ca to build it up past the size,then turn it down and finish it.They take about the same time for me.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Top Bottom