Question about the shape of a Gentlemen's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skordog

While looking throught pictures on this site I noticed that a lot of people's Gentlemen's Pens tend to bulge out in the bodies. I have purchased a kit but have not started it yet.

The picture in the catalog shows a pretty basic taper. Do you find that the bulge fits better in the hand or do people just like the looks of it better? Not ever having seen one of these pens in person or held one I can't form a good opinion on it.

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

That's why you are supposed to buy 4 or 5 so you can play with it! Seriously I have wondered the same thing about those pens. I have the baron kits but nothing as large as the Gent kit. To me it looks a little bit awkward. On my Barons I have put a little flair at the end where your thumb and fingers will be. For me this helps me grip the pen a little better since the nib on the baron is about like a slimline.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You've unlocked one of the secrets to pen turning. The shape is individually determined. You will find that there are advocates of closely following the pictures provided by the kit designers, advocates of using a more corseted shape, advocates of using beads and coves. The list is almost endless. It's the experimenting that makes this fun. The art of penturning is just that. And the artist determines what pleases him/her. Of course, the market determines which artists sell! [8D]

woodpens

I agree with Lou. You will find a wide variety of tastes among pen turners. I am one of the people who tend to stick with the standard design shapes. I have found that my customers do not typically go for the shapes, regardless of how pretty, cool or awesome they are. So, if I want to show off my woodturning skills, I will make something with spindles. Don't get me wrong. I really like some of the shapes shown on pens here. Just be careful not to sacrifice functionality and comfort when you make pens that you intend to sell. Good luck!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am in the same mindset as Jim... the couple of pens that I made with coves and non-typical shapes did not sell... but the standard shapes or just a little curve to thicken the pens sold well...

its_virgil

The brass tubes do not need to be glued in to turn a pen. To experiment with the shape on a new pen style, I will drill but NOT GLUE in the brass tube. I use scrap wood and turn the pen to a design that I want to consider. Take it off the lathe and lay out the parts and look at the pen. If you are comortable disassembling a kit, you can actually assemble it(I only spot glue the tubes in...a little glue on each end) and test it. If the feel isn't right the take it appart, remount it on the lathe and change the profile or part off the wood and try another set of blanks. I usually buy the less expensive plating (the 10K or 22K or whatever) to do this experimenting and then use that pen in its final form for personal use.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

wayneis

I have to go along with Jim and the Old Griz on this, my feelings are that if the bumpy curvy styles were a hot seller then the major pen companies would have them on the market. I've done a couple but have had absolutly no success selling them so I took them apart and returned them in a more conservative style. Now, my customers may be different than some so what does or does not sell for me may be completely different for someone else. Most of my customers are Doctors, Lawyers and other excucutive type individuals and they tend to be on the conservative side.

I do really wish that I could sell some of the more curvy styles because I've seen some of them here that I really liked.

Wayne

Skordog

Thanks for the feedback guys. And for the feedback on what sells and doesn't. At this point I need to start selling some pens because the cost of parts, wood, sandpaper, grinder, etc. has gone way beyond what I thought it would. I have spent almost $1,000 since Christmas when I got the lathe.

Granted I have given away about 30 pens which has brought a lot of joy to others and myself so I don't see it as a loss. But now I need to start supporting this hobby.

Don, thanks for the idea about experimentation without gluing in the tubes. I'll give that a shot.

Gregory Huey

I tend to decide what pen will get altered by the kit. I will add my own touches to a flat top or euro style but leave the gent and othe large type kits standard. It's all your own taste.

Gary

My experience has been pretty much the same as Jim's and Wayne's. I have a number of the "fatter" Jr. Gentlemen that are beautiful pens. But when someone picks them up and holds them, there is a frown, and they go back to the standard profile. They don't like the feel. I haven't been able to sell any of them so far, but turned to the standard bushing profile, the pens sell well.

jkirkb94

Jeff, just turn it the way you want. I turned most of my European pens with a bulge. Many of my customers like it that way. For someone like me with a mild case of Carpal Tunnel, the bulge makes it easier to write with. Kirk[8D]

PenWorks

I would like to agree with most of you [;)] But I didn't cut one straight pen this weekend. [:D]

Because I stock quite a few pens in the store, I don't want them looking the same. So I go out on a limb on some. Granted, they are not allways the best sellers, but if feels better making them [:p]

Daniel

I prety much make what I like. I found it helps to really be inthused about my pens when I show them to others so making what I like helps. there are enough people with like taste to get my pens sold. It is jsut my tste but I like the lines to be subtler and closer to the example from the suppliers. I do get tired of straight lines but don't generally stray far from it. just a slight swell or curve catches my eye faster than a straight cut, and doesn't seem to effect the preformance of the pen as much either. but that like so any other things in only my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom