Question about screw-on caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

What is the procedure to follow to make sure that your grain lines up on pen kits that have screw-on caps? I've made a couple using cross cut or burl woods and did not even think about how to keep things lined up. Now I'd like to make one with cocobolo and will need to get the grain straight. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

What is the procedure to follow to make sure that your grain lines up
Now I'd like to make one with cocobolo and will need to get the grain straight. Thanks.

Keith; This is the procedure I use. It is for the Baron and similar pens and replaces the section of the PDF instructions and uses the same nomenclature as the rest of the file.

Decide ahead of time whether you want the grain match when pen is open or closed. The key is to press on the nib tube ends first!. Screw the Center band assembly onto the Nib tube, and then press the cap onto the CB while it is still attached to the Nib tube. Remember that most threads are multi-start so there are three possible settings for the pen alignment.

3. Assembly:
This part is important if you wish to "grain match" the pen:

a. Press a COUPLER & TRIM RING into the end of the LONG BLANK where it will meet the CENTER BAND.

b. Slide the black CENTER BAND COUPLER into the plated CENTER BAND and install the BLACK TRIM RING and the PLATED TRIM RING on to the CENTER BAND assembly. Now screw the CENTER BAND and BLACK TRIM RING to the (lower blank) COUPLER & TRIM RING.

c. Grain match the pen blank ends and press the CENTER BAND and BLACK TRIM RING into the CAP blank (short upper pen blank).

d. Slide the CLIP onto the CAP and install into the appropriate end of the short (upper) pen blank.

e. Press the END CAP COUPLER into the END CAP.

f. Install the SPRING into the END CAP ASSEMBLY. To keep the spring in place use a needle nose pliers to expand the wide end of the spring and push it into the END CAP with the narrow end out. You can also put a drop of thick CA (superglue) into the END CAP before putting the spring in. Let the CA out gas for a day or two before assembling the pen.

g. Screw the END CAP ASSEMBLY onto the appropriate end of the long pen blank

2. Rollerball pen: Insert the REFILL and screw in the ROLLERBALL NIB ASSEMBLY into the COUPLER.

3. Fountain pen: install the ink cartridge / pump into the back of the fountain nib and screw the assembly into the COUPLER.

hughbie

i just recently made my first baron, and like many others (i'm sure) i never thought about the grain match till way too late. luckily, it's not very far off.....the luck of the draw so to speak
i copied these instructions....and gonna put them in my book...

THANKS!

Top Bottom