A question about Red Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JWS Penworks

Hey all,

I just turned a cigar pen out of red palm and after I turned it and finished it, before assembly I examined it and it looked dirty. Is this unusual or is this something that is consistent with red palm? I am disappointed to say the least.

Thanks!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I've turned a bit of red palm and am not sure what you mean by "dirty". Can you post a picture for us?

Skye

I've turned red and black palm and I think I know what your talking about.

Palm seems to consist of a soft core wood, almost a pith, and then these small toothpicks of harder wood inside them. Those are normally a darker color than the soft wood. When you sand, dust from the hard parts gets caught in the lighter, more fibrous, wood. Wiping it down well with some CA accelerator, denatured alcohol, BLO, anything will help a little.

That's my thoughts.

Dario

After your final cut, apply thin CA BEFORE sanding. This should seal the porous areas.

BTW, I think you need thin CA the entire time while turning palm.:biggrin:

GoodTurns

I've turned red and black palm and I think I know what your talking about.

Palm seems to consist of a soft core wood, almost a pith, and then these small toothpicks of harder wood inside them. Those are normally a darker color than the soft wood. When you sand, dust from the hard parts gets caught in the lighter, more fibrous, wood. Wiping it down well with some CA accelerator, denatured alcohol, BLO, anything will help a little.

That's my thoughts.

what he said! I keep a small squeeze bottle of DNA beside the lathe to wipe down palm after each sanding step...comes out much cleaner in the end.

Top Bottom