Question about reclaiming bakelite from kitchen utensil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

My wife, knowing I like to turn bakelite pens, bought an old fork at a yard sale recently for me to try to make a pen from. I tested it and have confirmed the handle is made of bakelite.

The handle is just big enough for one pen, probably a Sierra buy maaaaaybe enough for a Jr. Gent.........IF I can remove the metal fork stem from the handle without cracking it or destroying it. The stem is steel, around 5/16 diameter.

Has anyone had any success at doing such a thing? Could I possibly apply some heat to the metal fork and thus loosen it in the handle enough to twist-turn the handle off? Is there some sort of chemical that could be used without destroying the bakelite?

Just wondered if anyone else had found a good solution for such a task.

Thanks in advance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ThomJ

Dan, thats where I get my bakelite. I put the metal part in a vise and carefully use a torch to heat the metal and apply slight upward pressure on the handle, it comes out just fine. Be patient.

Thom

Dave S

How would one go about testing for bakelite? I have a bunch of red "plastic" handled kitchen tools around here somewhere, my ex collected all kinds of junk that she left behind when we had a parting of ways.
Dave

Freethinker

How would one go about testing for bakelite? I have a bunch of red "plastic" handled kitchen tools around here somewhere, my ex collected all kinds of junk that she left behind when we had a parting of ways.
Dave

Two ways.

You can wipe the piece with a Q-tip loaded with 409 and it should wipe off yellow.

Or you can hold the piece under hot running water (or heat some water in the microwave and dip the piece in the water)......submerge the piece for 15-30 seconds. Immediately smell the piece. You have to have a pretty good sniffer but if it is Bakelite or Catalin it will give off an odor of formaldehyde.

Oh, and thanks for the reply, Thom.

I rarely get many answers to my questions here. Your is very useful. Again, thanks.

Top Bottom