Question about plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all. I posted this question in another thread, but it got lost among all the fighting over Emperor kits value.:giggle:

So... I have seen some cheap kits labeled as 24kt gold. I'm sure they are not actually 24kt gold. So what are they? Also when they advertise a 22k gold plating or a GoldTi, Rhodium, etc., what are they refering to? :confused:

Thanks for your time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

What makes you think they're not 24kt?

If it lists a plating, the plating had better be the material listed. Gold Titanium (Ti alloy that has a gold look), Rhodium, etc. are merely more options than straight gold plating over a base metal.

edstreet

After calling a good 2 dozen jewelers this am on this very subject the consensus is 'its like spray paint and just as worthless', 'just assume it is not real gold that is used'

So essentially base it from look only and go from there.

Dan Hintz

After calling a good 2 dozen jewelers this am on this very subject the consensus is 'its like spray paint and just as worthless', 'just assume it is not real gold that is used'

So essentially base it from look only and go from there.
I'm not sure that's a very valid line of thinking. I'm not going to drag the other thread's argument to this one, but as was stated in the last thread, US companies selling items listed as being gold-plated that aren't could very quickly find themselves in legal battles. Not to mention, I don't imagine too many jewelers deal in pens (a few, but not many)... my guess would be they're telling you what seems reasonable to them given the inexpensive nature of the product. Before we go making broad generalizations that no one has yet to actually back up with fact, how about we actually test a couple and be done with this mess? I'd be happy to donate a few slimline clips to test this theory.

Haynie

This here horse is getting pretty darn tenderized. I thought someone actually did some scientific testing a couple years ago. I could be wrong though.

Has anyone had a conversation with someone who actually does plating? Why would someone call jewelers to discuss plating. Kind of like calling a car salesman to discuss mechanical issues.

Brad G plates his own pens I believe. Anyone talk to him?

edstreet

Ok I was able to talk to one smith I have known fir some time now. He tells me 1 oz of gold can plate 6 greyhound busses and many parts of the world ie Mid East and many Asian will net you missing limbs if its not real gold used.

So still regardless of material used only look at the visual rather than worthless platings and fancy names/labels.

Dan Hintz

So still regardless of material used only look at the visual rather than worthless platings and fancy names/labels.
No argument from me on that point. However, some generalizations can be made, and it's those we should care about. For example, a high-carat weight gold is going to be softer by nature, and therefore will not last as long as a plated material, ounce for ounce. 24kt is known to be pretty soft and wears readily over time, so switching to a more durable plating (e.g., 20kt) is often desirable.

Last edited:

Katsin

When you look at the sites of plating services they seem to explain everything pretty well. For example:
Gold Plating Services - Gold plating information, portable gold plating equipment, gold plating chemicals and electroplating kits for plating businesses
artisan plating.com - measuring layer thickness on gold plated surfaces, units of measurement, thickness, decorative applications, surface hardness, engineering applications

Looks like 1 oz of gold would plate 31 square feet at 24k with a thickness of 20 micro inches. That is a lot of pens. I don't think I've seen the thickness of pen plating mentioned by the component sellers but it is probably consistent with the FTC definitions.

I think my customers would prefer to have some gold on their pens then no gold. I think jewelers who offer full gold alloy products would be motivated to belittle gold plating since they have an upscale option to offer. I for one can't afford full gold alloys for anything so I like that plating is offered as an option.

sbwertz

I have completely stopped making 24k gold pens. I have had to replace too many of them. If the pen is simply to be a display pen, I guess it would be ok, but my pens are meant to be used, and the 24k plating peels off with use! If it were just that it was soft and scratched or wore through it would be another matter, but my experience is that it flakes and peels off in good sized chunks, especially on the clip. Perhaps it is from the flexing of the clip in use.

Last edited:

Katsin

I try to stick to 10k plating when possible and frequently advise my customers that the Chrome/Rhodium/Titanium Nitride plated pens I offer are much more robust.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I try to stick to 10k plating when possible and frequently advise my customers that the Chrome/Rhodium/Titanium Nitride plated pens I offer are much more robust.
I would agree - 10K is what most rings are made of (not plated) and they last for many years without looking bad. I still have my 57 year old HS class ring and it still shines - it's takes some abuse over the years too.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ed, some of what he says on that video is contrary to what I've read elsewhere and contrary to the visual on my "platinum" kits that were really white gold. They were bright, no yellowish tint and no Rhodium top plating, the Alloy was 60% Gold, 20% palladium and 20% copper -- no Rhodium at all and since they were calling them platinum I'm sure he'd have told me if there was any Rhodium.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When you look at the sites of plating services they seem to explain everything pretty well. For example:
Gold Plating Services - Gold plating information, portable gold plating equipment, gold plating chemicals and electroplating kits for plating businesses
artisan plating.com - measuring layer thickness on gold plated surfaces, units of measurement, thickness, decorative applications, surface hardness, engineering applications

Looks like 1 oz of gold would plate 31 square feet at 24k with a thickness of 20 micro inches. That is a lot of pens. I don't think I've seen the thickness of pen plating mentioned by the component sellers but it is probably consistent with the FTC definitions.

I think my customers would prefer to have some gold on their pens then no gold. I think jewelers who offer full gold alloy products would be motivated to belittle gold plating since they have an upscale option to offer. I for one can't afford full gold alloys for anything so I like that plating is offered as an option.
I think I recall my supplier telling me that they plate 2-3 microns - I asked again and if that's not right I'll post their reply.

Top Bottom