Question about pen mechanics/transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob77

I've been making cigar pens and I'm come across a couple where the transmissions don't seem to work well. I can get them to function but if anyone (aka my wife) twists it the wrong way, for example, the transmission will stop working. To get it to work again, I'll have to unscrew the halves and then reassemble and play around with it, etc.

Is there a technique for assembling these to make them more durable? Or maybe the question is whether there is a way to fix these? I'd like to give a couple of pens away for Christmas but I've got to have more faith that they will work!

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

It may depend on your supplier. I have some transmissions that came in the kits and were no good quality as compared to others. I always test it by hand before the install. Wipe it clean of grease, etc. As for the assembly, no help there since they just screw on the adapter.

dbledsoe

I have heard that the springs are actually directional - meaning that you can put them in backwards and the refill will not retract properly. Worth a try.

Rob77

I have heard that the springs are actually directional - meaning that you can put them in backwards and the refill will not retract properly. Worth a try.

This was the exact cause. I turned the spring around and it works great now. Thank you very much!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Top Bottom