Question about pen ink and shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kdoc87

I've mailed about a dozen ballpoint pens with no problem, but was wondering if mailing pens with ink in them (rollerball, fountain) would be any problem. I'm thinking about airplane pressure, and wouldn't want the recipient opening a package to find a mess! Or maybe I should ship them with the pen ink seperate...any thought?

One other thing...whats the opinions of selling fountain pens with the cartridge refills vs the pump style.. Is one better than the other besides the convenience? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

I haven't shipped many pens, but I have sent a few rollerballs and have never heard of a problem. For fountain pens, I wouldn't keep them inked for their trip, just in case a mess causing event occurs.

I'm looking forward to responses from someone who's sent a bunch of pens.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've mailed about a dozen ballpoint pens with no problem, but was wondering if mailing pens with ink in them (rollerball, fountain) would be any problem. I'm thinking about airplane pressure, and wouldn't want the recipient opening a package to find a mess! Or maybe I should ship them with the pen ink seperate...any thought?

One other thing...whats the opinions of selling fountain pens with the cartridge refills vs the pump style.. Is one better than the other besides the convenience? Thanks!
I would avoid shipping with the ink cartridge installed or with ink in the converter. I don't think the cartridges shipped with but not in the pen will have a problem but I would put them in a ziploc bag.

Whether you use cartridge of pup refill depends on a couple of things...some pens will only take a cartridge that doe not hold much ink and I'd recommend cartridges for them.

Most of the bigger pens it is probably just a matter of taste in ink and whether the buyer's favorite ink comes in a cartridge. Cartridges are probably more expensive to use, but I don't really think that's an issue with most fountain pen buyers.

monophoto

Fountain pens can not be shipped with ink, atmospheric pressure will make them leak.

That's a pretty broad statement.

I've flown all over the world with fountain pens, and have very rarely had a problem with leaks.

Both the passenger compartment and the cargo areas of most commercial aircraft today are pressurized. That said, sometimes, the pressurization doesn't work the way it should - and my experience is that your ears are more likely to experience distress than are fountain pens.

But the OP's question related to shipping pens to purchasers - and as a matter of etiquette, fountain pens should always be uninked and clean when delivered to the purchaser. So the issue of leakage during shipment should never arise.

I've had ball point pens leak while sitting on the desk in my office - that's another reason why I refuse to use those nasty things myself!

Last edited:
Top Bottom