Question about Mandrel spacers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hatman

I'm fairly new to pen turning. I have a PSI Pen Saver Mandrel and the spacers that come with it are flaring out and getting stuck on the mandrel. The reason for this is I am constantly having to tighten my tail stock in order to keep the wood from slipping or stopping as I begin to turn. My tools are kept very sharp. Does anyone else have this issue and what it the fix? I have had to get creative and made my own spacers because PSI does not sell them separately. Any help is appreciated,
Hatman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

7mm slimline bushings (but really any other bushings will do) can work as spacers. Look into TBC, Turn Between Centers, it eliminates many problems associated with mandrels. There are some good tutorials in the library and extensive discussion threads, so I won't reinvent the wheel here...

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Forgot to say, Welcome! Post in the introductions forum and get a chance to win a prize (I think).

Edward Cypher

If I need spacers on the mandrel I usually just use slimline bushings. I have never had them flare out but I do not tighten my tailstock that tight, just tight enough to turn the blank.

Jolly Red

you may be trying to remove too much before turning off the corners of the blank. Just take very small bites till the blank is at least semi-round, then you can take heavier cuts. Another way is to remove the corners before turning; some use the band saw and others use a belt or disk sander.

JimB

I don't use a mandrels any more for pens but when I did I would take a stick pen (bic, papermate), remove the ink and then cut the tube to make spacers. Easy to make custom length spacers.

magpens

I don't use a mandrel anymore, either. Turning between centers is very easy and eliminates the problems associated with mandrels. You don't even need bushings if you have a digital caliper for measuring your rounded blank as you reduce its diameter to the size you need ... usually the size of the biggest end of each bushing of the appropriate kit.

Top Bottom