Question about laser works

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a laser engraver and would like to use it in combination with my new pen turning hobby. I know some of you guys do this often and was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I'm wondering about both lasercut inlays like the stars and stripes, and other inlays. I think some of them are just engraved into them and then filled with colored epoxy or something. But some of them seem like "segmented" pens and I think I've read that they are laser cut. Any tutorials or advice anyone willing to offer?

Thanks!

Mike

Mr Vic

Mike, Take a look at Kens site. I dare say I believe he is a leader of the laser movement. Most of his kits are cut inlays. Don't know the full process but essentially you cut out the desired shape on a turned down blank (not glued to the tube?) and repeat the proces on contrasting wood blank to provide your inlay. You would set up your design with a height equal to the circumfrence and width equal to the length of the blank. Of course you would reduce size if only doing a single insert say a fish. Clear as mud right?

http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront

Sberger

Hey Mike, I turn my pens and sell them and also have a laser to aid. Just did a show yesterday and now have three laser projects to do today for some of those sales. What kind of laser do you have? Probably be best if you PM me to get some points of light. The laser is great if you already have it, but to buy one just for pens is crazy. Would take a long time to show a profit. They do a wonderful job. PM and will give you my phone number if you like.
Steve

Top Bottom