Question about graphics programs & engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I have an idea that I would like to try. It would involve having a photo of one of my grandchildren engraved on a piece of wood or acrylic. Is there any software out there that can take a digital photo and make it into a line drawing that can then be engraved? I feel fairly sure that this is not a difficult process but I thought I'd ask the experts here on IAP.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jim Smith
Conyers, GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
My Kodak camera software did that as one of the 'fun effects' but I deleted the software long ago. Perhaps yours does the same. I've just checked and I don't think you can do it in Picassa3
I would also think that the person that does your engraving will have the correct software to suit his machine..
IIRC bitmaps and jpegs don't work. There is another one that can be resized without pixelating the image, but I can't remember what it's called.
Your engraver should be able to convert your digi pic and show you the image before he does it.

DurocShark

Yes, talk to your engraver. Most use Corel or Photoshop, so are able to work with pretty much whatever you send.

DozerMite

Banned
It needs to be converted to a vector file. There are several programs available to convert photos to vector for engraving, but they are pretty pricey. Any engraver should have the software and can use your pic.
Jpegs and similar will work, but they give jagged edges and not the smooth lines of a vector.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Contact Ken Nelsen at http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have an idea that I would like to try. It would involve having a photo of one of my grandchildren engraved on a piece of wood or acrylic. Is there any software out there that can take a digital photo and make it into a line drawing that can then be engraved? I feel fairly sure that this is not a difficult process but I thought I'd ask the experts here on IAP.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jim Smith
Conyers, GA

Top Bottom