Question about gluing snakeskins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaWoodworker

I am making snakeskin penblanks and found that CA glue causes the skins to become translucent when gluing to the brass tubes. This causes the tube to become visible through the skin. Has anyone made these types of blanks? If so, what do you use to glue your skins to the tube?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

GA, do a quick search of the archived threads and you'll find a few threads about this. I've used CA with mixed success, although others have reported much better luck. Some also mentioned Elmer's wood glue, if I recall correctly, but that has a tendency to not adhere well to the tubes, IMHO.

rtjw

I actually give my tubes to the guy that has the rattlesnake skins. he glues them up for me. I gave him a small bottle of CA and he said it works good. He also colors the tubes black before he glues them up.

Fred in NC

Try white carpenter's glue, like Elmer's. I have glued leather to the tubes and it holds. You can also try glueing a layer of paper on the tube first and when it is dry, glue the skin on top.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Try turning a blanks underssized then glue the skin to the wood.
The wood you choose can enhance the color.
Walnut, maple etc...

GaWoodworker

Thanks for the tips. I am experimenting with several blanks now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom