Question about Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

al_medlock

I have only been turning the last couple of mts and I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with pens made from ebony cracking after a week or so of making them. I had 2 ebony blanks and both of them cracked! Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks, in advance! :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Ebony, unless well aged in the shop for a few years, has a reputation for cracking (and may crack after aging).

Repair the crack and be glad you had it happen quickly.

jsolie

I've had ebony crack all the way to the tube and for the length of the pen tube. It was supposedly dry ebony, but I had my doubts.

I have several pieces of it out in my shop that have been sitting in a cabinet for a couple years now. Hopefully it'll behave better the next time I use some.

Unless that ebony is bone dry, you run the risk of it cracking. Even when dry, it can sometimes surprise you.

I've found that blackwood is a good alternative as it isn't quite as grumpy (meaning splintery and prone to crack) as ebony, but the color is different. Your mileage may vary.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I believe that getting it hot from drilling, sanding or what ever reason will add to the cracking factor. I had a slimline I made from ebony that did quite well but finally cracked, ...................
when I sat on it. :redface: :biggrin:

CREID

Ive only turned Ebony once, (nasty stuff). Anyway I had it for about 5 years or so before turning it so it was fine, but I hear that it will crack if not old enough.

Curt

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
To prevent cracking, drill slowly starting with small drill and work up to final size.

Before attaching to components, file or sand out the tube until it is a slide fit rather than a press fit. Glue it in.

Ebony does not usually crack when not stressed. It is used in musical instruments all the time without cracking. By pressing the fittings in, you are expanding the brass tube and stressing the ebony. This method works with many crack other sensitive materials as well.

Top Bottom