Question about drilling CSUSA Sketch Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I drilled blanks for my first two CSUSA sketch pencils yesterday. I used the recommended 15/32 bit and because of the size and length of the hole I drilled them both on the lathe - one acrylic and one wood (tulipwood).

Anyway, I ended up with really sloppy fits on both of the blanks. I used Gorilla glue on the wood one and (lots of) epoxy on the acrylic blank, and I'm hoping they turn out OK. BUT, what do those of you who have made this pencil use to drill it? Any suggestions? I played with a waste blank after this and got the fit to tighten up a little bit, but still thought it was awfully loose.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I have done my sketch pencil blanks on my drill press. It was held in a vise and was nice and straight since I used a back board for the end to prevent blow-out when the drill broke through the end of the blank.

hilltopper46

Thanks for the responses - I agree that I need to try the center drills. I looked up the post by rherrill and it's good stuff. I actually have some center drills and will try that.

That being said, and now that I'm awake and can do clearly, let me ask the question another way..... a 15/32 bit is .468 inch in diameter. The tube on the sketcher measures ~.455 inch, at least .013 undersize. A 11.7 mm bit (available from a supplier I use for some stuff, including center drills :biggrin:) is .460 inch. The same supplier has a 11.75 mm (.462 inch) and a 11.8 mm (.465) bit.

Has anyone ever tried one of these smaller bits on the sketch pencil. if so, which one? If not, what's the ideal clearance to have between the tube and the pencil. .013 inch seem a bit excessive to me.

(If I order a metric bit, is anyone else interested?)

Rifleman1776

I use the 15/32" in a brad point successfully. Have made many of the sketch pencils. Maybe you have some wobble somewhere or the bit is defective. I use my drill press.
I have been at this so long, I have forgotten if I experimented with different size bits on this kit. But, for most styles, I usually do experiment. Wish I could be of more help. I do suggest you try a different bit in 15/32", I prefer brad points but split points twists are popular with many as they do not wander as much as regular twists.

wizical

for the sketch pencil from CSUSA, the size of the drill bit you want to use is 10.5, I ran into the same problem and changing to that drill bit worked great.

wizical

my apologies, i got the zen pen and the artist sketches confused, I just talk to CSUSA. it is 15/32. I believe you have some wobble with your vise you are using. That seems like the culprit

Top Bottom