Question about DNA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

arioux

Hi,

I have a bottle of Methyl Hydrate, it says that it is alcohol 99.9% pure. Is this the same as DNA. If not, will it do for cleaning between sanding. I have non more use for this stuff and i hate to discard chemical, even if we have a special place for them in our recycle bin.

Alfred

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I believe in Canada they call DNA that... I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is the same stuff or close enough to work...

William Young

Methyl Hydrate and Denatured Alcohol are not the same in Canada Tom. Methyle hydrate is what is used as gasline antifreeze and is much cheaper to buy than DNA. I was using methyle hydrate to soak green turned bowls in to speed the drying process from months to weeks before final turning. Although I never had a failure with it, I was advised to use DNA instead for that purpose. So I am now getting my DNA over the border where it is much cheaper than in Canada and I don't have to pay 14% taxes plus an Eco fee like I would have to in Canada.
I have read explanations of the difference in the two (chemically) but it was way over my head or at least more than I wanted to know about it.
Perhaps someone here will describe the difference for those that are so inclined to get the technical side of it answered.
W.Y.

rtparso

Methyl (and other stuff) is used to denature or make ethanol poisonous.
<u>http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00102.htm</u>
"Question - what is the difference between denatured alcohol and
rubbing alcohol?
------------------------------------------------
Denatured alcohol is ethanol to which poisonous and foul-tasting chamicals
have been added to make it unfit for drinking. There is more than one
recipe for denaturing alcohol; some add methanol or isopropanol, some
gasoline, and so on.

Rubbing alcohol is an alcohol intended to be rubbed on the skin. Frequently
70% iso-propyl alcohol / 30% water is used; sometimes ethanol with added
iso-propyl alcohol is used. You don't want to use denatured alcohol that is
made with anything that shouldn't be placed on the skin, such as gasoline!

So, some, but not all, kinds of denatured alcohol can be used as rubbing
alcohol. Rubbing alcohol may also not contain any ethanol at all, which
would disqualify it from being "denatured". So, some but not all kinds of
rubbing alcohol are denatured alcohol, and some but not all kinds of
denatured alcohol can be rubbing alcohol.

Richard E. Barrans Jr., Ph.D.
Assistant Director
PG Research Foundation, Darien, Illinois"

William Young

That was very interesting and thank you for posting it but unless I missed something or misunderstood, , , I didn't see any mention of methyl hydrate or is it to be assumed that methyl hydrate is the same as rubbing alcohol as in the comparison posted. I don't really think it is the same but it sure woudn't be the first time I have been wrong.[:D]
Is methanol and methyl hydrate possibly the same thing ? ? ? because I saw methanol mentioned but no methyl hydrate. Is there something that changes methanol to methyl hydrate in order for them to have a name distincion ? Or are they two entirely different things ?
W.Y.

M

Mudder

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methyl_alcohol.html

Synonyms: methanol, carbinol, colonial spirit, columbian spirit, methylol, methyl hydrate , wood alcohol, wood naphtha, wood spirit, methyl hydroxide, pyroxylic spirit, RCRA waste number U154, meths
Molecular formula: CH3OH

This is the best I can find.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In answering the original question (and Bill Young's re-statement of the question), Neither methyl hydrate nor rubbing alcohol (most often a mix of isopropanol and water) is the same as denatured alcohol (DNA). I have not personally tried methyl hydrate for cleaning wood between sanding grits (I find compressed air to be more efficient and with less drawbacks), but I would suggest trying it on a scrap rather than on a finished blank.

I'm not sure this is really going to help, but let's at least get a common set of definitions.

<u>Methyl alcohol</u> (Methanol, Methyl hydrate; sometimes called wood alcohol) â€" <b>CH3OH</b>

<u>Isopropyl alcohol</u> (Isopropanol, rubbing alcohol) - (<b>CH3)2CHOH</b>

<u>Ethyl alcohol</u> (Ethanol, drinking alcohol) - <b>C2H5OH</b>

<u>Denatured alcohol</u> â€" <u>Ethyl alcohol</u> which has been adulterated by the addition of methanol, isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone or other compounds rendering the ethanol useless for consumption.

NOTE: The numbers in the chemical formulas above should all be subscripts, but I don't know how to do subscripts on the forum.

arioux

Hi,
Thank you all for all the very interesting answer. I found a site that strongly recommand not to use Methyl Hydrate around an electric motor since it is extremely volatile and the spark from it can easyly ignite the fume. Methyl Hydrate is also use as fuel for fondue burner. I think i'm going to stay away from it and go with my air compressor.

Thanks again for all the help

Alfred

William Young

Thanks for everyones response and especially to DCBluesman.
Lou . . . you explained it in a way that I have never seen it explained before and I found it much easier to sort out the differences. Your reply is a keeper on my computer.
Many thanks to all.[:)]
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom