Question about delrin bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hazmat74

I'm probably going to turn a couple of sets of these this weekend. My question is, when drilling them for use on a mandrel, what size drill should I use? I'm assuming a 7mm will be a tad too large.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

If I recall correctly, most mandrels are either 7mm or 8mm. You'll need to adjust your drilled holes accordingly. If you use any of the Berea kits that have bushings IDs ending in a B (e.g., 19B) you'll need the 8mm mandrel. I believe everyone else sells 7mm mandrels.

Jim Burr

Banned
Why drill them for a mandrel? Put a 60* cone in each end with a hole starter bit and lose the mandrel. If you insist on using one...get out your calipers, measure the shaft diameter and go to the conversion guide in the library to find the drill size.

hazmat74

Why drill them for a mandrel? Put a 60* cone in each end with a hole starter bit and lose the mandrel. If you insist on using one...get out your calipers, measure the shaft diameter and go to the conversion guide in the library to find the drill size.

Don't have the proper centers just yet, but this is what I will do when I have them. I have yards of delrin on-hand. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan Masshardt

Just slimlines at the moment. That's all I have. I probably don't really need them, but I feel like playing with my metal lathe while I await a shipment from PSI.

Might not be a bad idea to turn some cone shaped delrin bushings for finishing too. You can use them for any size tube. I use them and they work well for me.

That way you can use them with new kits and then turn the right size later if you decide it's a kit you're going to use regularly.

Top Bottom