Question about Damascus Steel Blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

I have off today so wanted to make a pen. I have a piece of real Damascus steel that was a gift from Dawn that I wanted to use on a set of
Black Titanium and Rhodium Emperor components. I've never worked with real Damascus before so any advice would be appreciated. The question I was most interested in asking is whether or not to use brass tubes? Thanks in advance..Doc:)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
No tubes needed, but you will have to get some etching solution to bring out the pattern after turned. Be very patient. I use a 25-50% solution of circuit board etchant from Radio shack.

wizard

No tubes needed, but you will have to get some etching solution to bring out the pattern after turned. Be very patient. I use a 25-50% solution of circuit board etchant from Radio shack.

Bruce,
Thanks so much! Do you just soak the turned blanks in etchant? If so, how long do you leave....or do you just wipe on..

Ed McDonnell

Hi Doc - Are you planning on using press fit commercial components? If so, do you have the right sized drills / reamers to get the size hole you need for the press fit? If yes, then you don't need the brass tubes. If no, can you get a hole size close enough for a non-sloppy fit? If yes, then you don't need the brass tubes and you can epoxy the components.

If you don't have the tooling to support a direct press fit (or even a close enough fit to use epoxy) with commercial components, then gluing in the brass tubes will work. I prefer using a glue with some flex (urethane or rtv). You don't need to use the entire tube. Just enough to accommodate the fittings. Whatever is easier for you.

If you are making your own components (finials, couplers...) then you don't need the brass tubes. You can either machine to press fit or use threaded connections (my preference).

Important disclaimer: I've not made a damascus steel pen. I have used titanium, carbon steels, stainless steels, brass, copper, and aluminum. Maybe there is something unique to damascus with regard to using the brass tubes, but I would be surprised if there is.

For what it's worth....

Ed

wizard

Hi Doc - Are you planning on using press fit commercial components? If so, do you have the right sized drills / reamers to get the size hole you need for the press fit? If yes, then you don't need the brass tubes. If no, can you get a hole size close enough for a non-sloppy fit? If yes, then you don't need the brass tubes and you can epoxy the components.

If you don't have the tooling to support a direct press fit (or even a close enough fit to use epoxy) with commercial components, then gluing in the brass tubes will work. I prefer using a glue with some flex (urethane or rtv). You don't need to use the entire tube. Just enough to accommodate the fittings. Whatever is easier for you.

If you are making your own components (finials, couplers...) then you don't need the brass tubes. You can either machine to press fit or use threaded connections (my preference).

Important disclaimer: I've not made a damascus steel pen. I have used titanium, carbon steels, stainless steels, brass, copper, and aluminum. Maybe there is something unique to damascus with regard to using the brass tubes, but I would be surprised if there is.

For what it's worth....

Ed

Ed, Thank you...Yes press fit components...have right size drills...was going to use cobalt...have no reamers. Will have to get holes close enough...and/or get reamers..

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Bruce,
Thanks so much! Do you just soak the turned blanks in etchant? If so, how long do you leave....or do you just wipe on..

Each Damascus is a little different depending on what type of steel is used. I soak for about 10-15 minutes in 25% solution, rinse, look and probably repeat. You can then lightly sand (or not) with 1-2000 grit. You might want to try a small piece first. If the pattern is now showing, turn a little off and it will disappear. Then do some test etches to see what you like.

OKLAHOMAN

Doc, I would make it with a slip fit not a press fit, no tubes and use loctite. Bruce is correct with using the Ferric acid etching solution from Radio shack, I have used it on many pens and you can leave it soak for 15-20 minutes at a time and check to see if it achevied the pattern, if not repeat as many times as needed. .

triw51

Bruce it would depend on the type of metals used. If the blank is nicol 200 and high carbon steel then the etchant from radio shack will work best. If 15n20 and tool steel is used nitric acid is the best to etch with.
Also if the blank is not annealed you will have a bear of a time turning it.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Donovan

I glue the tube in. I have found that after etching the fit is not all that good. Also you have to agitate the blank often as the solution closest to the blank gets exhausted and if you agitate you have constant fresh chemical doing the work. It helps to heat up the etching solution a little, it will work faster.

Donovan

Top Bottom