Question about Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I was gifted a piece of Corian, it is 24 inches wide and 36 inches long. I was glad to get such a gift, however I have never turned any corian and am wondering what it is like to turn it. I plan to try a piece of it tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

we4marts

I turns nice with sharp tools. It also glues up nice with CA glue if you want to glue another color to it.

Mark

I've only done a small portion of Corian. I'd suggest sharp tools and take your time. Drill it slow and clear your bit often. Don't push your speed of removing material. I've heard that it cracks easy. I haven't had any crack, yet.... Good luck and enjoy it. I love the Corian pens.

louie

Assuming you have 1/2 thick pieces, you can cut on table/band saw, glue with CA and clamp. I have glued good face to good face and also good face to non-good face, couldn't tell the difference. Also, use sharp tools and polish with MM just like you would an acrylic. It polishes up very nice.

PaulDoug

Turns nice, you will enjoy it. to drill, go slow, clear real often. I think drilling is the touchest part, but very doable. Finshes nice with MM and polish.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not that great

I have found (and have had several customers mention) that it is fairly difficult to drill and has a tendency to blow out when the drill breaks through so cut it a bit longer than your final length before drilling. Make sure your drill is centered and very sharp when you start drilling and drill slowly.

You need very sharp tools when turning. Leave some extra material on both ends when your turning and take the last little off with sanding if you make it too thin at the cap and tip ends they tend to develop hairline cracks when you press in the cap and tip.

Corian is a trade name owned by DuPont so be careful if you use that name...many sellers simply refer to it as "hard surface" to avoid trade name issues.

Rfturner

I have made over 80+ pens from corian alone, Drill slower than you would with wood, it has a tendecy to get hot fast to sharp tools and lighter passes. It should be no problem. The stuff I use is 1/2 x 1/2 x 5 I can only use it on the slimlines unless I glue up more

its_virgil

Hi Keith,
This may help out with your corian delima:
http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and scroll down to the last in the list.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was gifted a piece of Corian, it is 24 inches wide and 36 inches long. I was glad to get such a gift, however I have never turned any corian and am wondering what it is like to turn it. I plan to try a piece of it tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Top Bottom