Question About Collet Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Woodcraft has an 8-collet set, but it is the type that works with a morse taper rather than being threaded directly onto the spindle.

PSI has a 5-collet set that is the type that threads directly onto the spindle.

Are the extra (smaller) collets with the Woodcraft set worth the trade-off of slightly greater run-out associated with the morse taper design?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

My 2 cents worth is.. that I DID own the Woodcraft collet chuck.
I now have 2 Beall chucks, same basic design as the PSI chuck you mention.
nuff said.

ldb2000

My personal opinion is No . The PSI chuck uses standard ER32 collets which are available from several places on the net . Several here have bought the collet sets from 800watt on ebay at a good price , I just bought the few missing sizes for the pens I make and saved about $75 bucks over the set prices .

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I bought the Beall chuck and the 18 piece set from 800watt on ebay and have been happy with both. Just for those that are trying to decide which one to buy, the metric set was $20 less at the time than the regular set and the sizes are the same. It just doesn't matter if it is metric or not.

Randy_

I bought the Beall chuck and the 18 piece set from 800watt on ebay and have been happy with both. Just for those that are trying to decide which one to buy, the metric set was $20 less at the time than the regular set and the sizes are the same. It just doesn't matter if it is metric or not.

Actually, that is not quite accurate. Because the grip range of an er32 collet is exactly 1 mm and the metric sets step in imm increments, there are no gaps in the grip range. However, the Imperial sized collet sets skip a couple of non-standard 32nd sizes so there are a couple of gaps in the grip range. This is a fairly minor problem and only affects those who wouild use metric sized stock in the Imperial collets; but since both sets are usually the same price it really makes sense to purchase the metric set.

Last edited:

ldb2000

Thanks -- is the Beall set worth the extra money over the PSI set?
I don't think it is , but that's just me . The PSI set comes with 5 standard inch size collets , the Beall set don't come with any collets so you HAVE to buy the collet set before you can use the chuck for any thing .
The PSI chuck has no measurable run out on my lathe (Jet 1014vsi) and I don't think the Beall is any better but that's just my opinion .

BigShed

Another consideration re morse taper chuck vs screw on chuck is that the morse taper chucks have a very small through hole so will not allow mandrels to pass through. The screw on chuck will allow mandrels and other work to pass through. So the maximum depth of an ER morse taper chuck is only a bit more than the depth of the collet.

Might not seem that important, but it will be when you start making bullet pens and want to hold the brass cartridge in as far as possible, or you want to shorten your mandrel for doing only short blanks etc.

livertrans

I was in Madison ,WI this past weekend and purchased the woodcraft collet chuck. I am very disapointed in it and I will revist them next weekend to return my collet chuck for the very reasons mentioned by BIG SHED. I will order from PSI and get their collet chuck. I've heard nothing but good feedback about it and the price is right.

palmermethod

Woodcraft has an 8-collet set, but it is the type that works with a morse taper rather than being threaded directly onto the spindle.

I have the Beall collet set which works perfectly. BUT........

On my cast iron midi-lathe, I also bought a 1/2" keyless chuck with the morse taper. It sometimes loosens up when working on a piece without tail end support. Just spins out. The chuck and workpiece. Not good.

So I had to improvise a 1/4-20 threaded rod draw bar that screws through the lathe, and into the MT chuck, and holds the chuck in place.

And while I'm thinking about I had to do a bit of fine-tuning on the chuck's morse taper shaft. After getting a tight fit in the lathe, the chuck still had a small bit of wobble.

I marked up the tapered shaft with black marker pen and re-inserted the chuck into the lathe. And wiggled it around to see what was causing the not perfect fit.

The problem was not the chuck taper but rather a very slight imperfection in the internal taper of the lathe.

I looked at the chuck arbor, saw that it was just a small, 1/16" or so scratch on the shaft. So I did a bit of easy filing around the scratch, on the chuck taper, and that was it.

That little bit of fine tuning I think is easy to do if you have a similar problem.

Anyway, use a draw bar for all your tapered collets and the Beall system is a truly precision piece of equipment.

Happy turning......

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Actually, that is not quite accurate. Because the grip range of an er32 collet is exactly 1 mm
and the metric sets step in imm increments, there are no gaps in the grip range. However, the Imperial sized collet sets skip a couple of non-standard 32nd sizes so there are a couple of gaps in the grip range. This is a fairly minor problem and only affects those who wouild use metric sized stock in the Imperial collets; but since both sets are usually the same price it really makes sense to purchase the metric set.
Okay, I agree, the metric kit is better. I'm happy I bought it and for some reason when you look at 800watt products, keep looking at all of them. Sometimes he puts the exact same product in with a $20 difference in the price. I don't know why this is doen, but it saved me some money by looking at all he was advertising.

randyrls

Just a note; The metric set covers the entire range from about 1/16" to 3/4" with out any gaps. The Imperial (inch) set has small gaps in the larger sizes.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Just a note; The metric set covers the entire range from about 1/16" to 3/4" with out any gaps. The Imperial (inch) set has small gaps in the larger sizes.
I think thats what the other Randy just posted. That's why the metric set is actually better. Not to mention that the metric system is much easier to work with once you learn it.

Top Bottom