Question about chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I have been trying to decide between the Oneway Talon Chuck and the Barracuda2. Can anyone shed some light on a couple of questions for me? First, is it worth the extra money to buy the Oneway? From what I've read, the only knock on the Barracuda is that the threaded nuts tend to strip out and are next to impossible to replace. I will be using it for drilling on the lathe and to learn basic bowl turning. Second, what holds the chuck onto the headstock? I looked at the Oneway recently and was surprised to see that it does not have a threaded interface on the back.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

me2cyclops

I vote for the supernova

the oneway and nova chucks have inserts that fit in the chuck back so you can just change the insert when you upgrade to a larger lathe and not have to buy a new chuck
never used the baracuda so I can't comment there I have used the nova and oneway couldnt tell where the price difference came from and bought the nova

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
The Barracuda is a very good chuck and has the advantage of coming with several different size jaws. You'll be surprised at how fast you wind up wanting the extra jaws. I have both and use the Oneway the most but the Barracuda is still a very god investment. If your budget is limited then start with the barracuda, if you've get the money then go ahead and get the Oneway just remember you'll have to purchase the insert for your lathe and the extra jaws seperately.

KenV

I have both. I also have Vicmark and rank them interms of general quality vicmark, oneway, and PSI with respect to durability, precision, and fit of parts.

All are functional and for a Jet Midi I have in Tucson I have only the PSI version with the case full of jaws. I do most of the work with two of those jaws though.

Oneway and Vicmark will work with the larger threaded lathes because they have a wider range of inserts (I need 1 1/4 for the big lathe) where I would have to use an external adapter on the PSI chuck.

Now saying that -- the ad I got from Highland offering a NOVA chuck for under $200 with extra jaws looked good too. My daughter has nova and that is a high grade chuck.

All good, some may be a bit better for some uses.

jkeithrussell

Great -- thanks. I have a Jet mini, so the Barracuda should work fine. Now to choose between the regular or T/N versions....

esears

Great -- thanks. I have a Jet mini, so the Barracuda should work fine. Now to choose between the regular or T/N versions....

I have the T/N version and I'm not really sure what it does. But to share a recent experience, my worm screw snapped in half on the second bowl I turned with it. I called PSI and they are shipping out a tougher screw to me free of charge. He told me that they had some issues with a batch of them, but I'm overall happy with the customer service from them. I think I ended up buying mine through Amazon to save on the shipping.

I have been trying to decide between the Oneway Talon Chuck and the Barracuda2. Can anyone shed some light on a couple of questions for me? First, is it worth the extra money to buy the Oneway? From what I've read, the only knock on the Barracuda is that the threaded nuts tend to strip out and are next to impossible to replace. I will be using it for drilling on the lathe and to learn basic bowl turning. Second, what holds the chuck onto the headstock? I looked at the Oneway recently and was surprised to see that it does not have a threaded interface on the back.

Thanks!

Both are good chucks. Since you have a mini go with the Barracuda.

IMO, the T/N coating is for looks.

Top Bottom