Question about CA finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

I have been making pens for a few months now and have just been using a friction polish. I have been reading into CA finish and get the basics of it but had a question, some people sand between coats and other don't, is one way better? It seems like sanding between coats would take longer, especially if there are 10 or more coats ( Seems like 3-6 is the usual amount of coats but I have heard of 25+).

Well thats about it, any other tips are welcome as well...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
It all comes down to preference. Some get a better result sanding between coats others lay it to it and keep on adding coats.
You just need to try a method that works for you.

jcm71

It all comes down to preference. Some get a better result sanding between coats others lay it to it and keep on adding coats.
You just need to try a method that works for you.

Concur with above. Other members here have said that there are about as many ways to apply a CA fininsh as there are members (or stars in the sky for that matter). Some use thick, others medium and yet others thin CA. Some use BLO and others don't. Some use an activator and others don't. It all comes down to individual preference and what works for you. The only two constants I can think of is use ventilation, and keep your acetone handy. Good luck.

76winger

I don't sand between coats unless the surface starts getting irregular and I need to smooth it out. This happened a lot when I first started applying CA finishes, but I haven't needed to do so for a while now.

Also, on the really smooth, hard woods I usually just stick with the friction polish for a more natural finish. As you'll see with other replies though, everyone does it a little bit differently.

kovalcik

I concur with most of the comments above, and just want to add at least from my experience my "method" changes depending on temperature, humidity, the brand of glue I was able to buy, the type of wood, etc. Sometimes I need to sand between coats if the glue is setting up too fast. If it goes on smooth then I don't.

I suggest reading a few articles and watching some videos and try a few methods. Drill a .25" hole in a few blanks, put them on your mandrel turn them round and practice. When you find one that works for you, use that basic method and try some variations. Use BLO or not, sand between coats or not. Rub it on fast or slow. Use a couple different brands or thicknesses of CA, different number of coats. Eventually you will get a feel for when the finish is working or if you need to adjust.

randyrls

Also, on the really smooth, hard woods I usually just stick with the friction polish for a more natural finish. As you'll see with other replies though, everyone does it a little bit differently.

Dave; I just use CA and then finish with 0000 steel wool. This gives both a durable surface AND a nice satin matte finish.

Like you I prefer a satin finish on wood unless the customer wants high gloss.

arcwick08

I'm no Chemist, but I play one on TV. That being said:

I'm reasonably sure that, when applying multiple coats of CA, each layer bonds inextricably with the layer below it. In other words, say you do 10 'coats'. At the end, you have a single coat of CA that is 10 applications thick, not 10 individual coats.

Many other wood finishes do not work this way. Ever sand through a finish by accident and end up with 'witness' lines? Same idea.

Because of this, I'm inclined to say that you can achieve the same finish by sanding once at the end of all the CA applications, vs sanding in between.

Top Bottom