Question about bullet casing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

How would you go about taking a live cartridge apart so that you can use the bullet as a nib? #1, I don't want to mar the bullet or the casing and #2, I don't want the round to go off (obviously). The only way I can think is to drill through the primer, but how to do that without shooting myself in the bum. I have a Barracuda chuck so I was thinking I could drill it on the lathe, empty the powder and knock the bullet out with a rod so I can drill it. Any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smitty

Don't drill the primer on a live round, you are asking to get yourself hurt. Go to your local gun dealer and see if they have a hammer that can disassemble a live round. Midway USA sells them. I have one and it is the only safe way to remove the bullet and powder safely.

bad

I don't want to come across as a smarta$$ but my solution would be to simply go to your local gun dealer who stocks reload supplies and buy the appropriate slug. Then you can simply fire the cartridge and polish up the brass and use that and the new slug.

Jim Smith

I'm with Bruce on this one. I would NEVER mess with a live round to get the components for a pen. I had a friend in Jr. High School that tried it with a 22 and came to school the next day with his hair parted right down the middle where the bullet grazed his skull on the way by:eek: I had made a key chain out of a 22 cal shell and he wanted to make one. I simply assumed that he knew that you had to shoot the bullet to get the shell casing:rolleyes:

Go to your local Army/Navy store or any store that sells reloading supplies and buy what you need.

Jim Smith

jskeen

You're way better off buying separate components to make into pens. You can get brass for free (or at most for a pen) from almost any shooting range. Bullets are cheaper to buy than unfired shells too. In any case, even if you can get the bullet and powder out of an unfired round, the primer is still live, and quite capable of launching a centering punch through your roof (or you skull) the only safe way to get rid of the live primer is to chamber the shell, (minus bullet and powder) in the APPROPRIATE firearm, and fire the primer in a safe direction. Remember, a live primer packs a pretty intense blast of air and particles at muzzle range. It can't safely be drilled out, knocked out, pressed out or removed any other way.

fyrcaptn

safety first

I would not recommend your trying this; based only on your asking the question...
Hope that doesn't sound like a smart arsed answer.

If you need a particular round seperated, it can be done. If you want particular size components most can be fairly easily found. Check with someone who reloads their own ammunition. I have a special device that I can take apart live rounds with. It isn't hard, but anytime you deal with live ammunition there is risk involved.

Contact a good gun supply store and tell them what you want - ie a .270 casing and 140 grain spire point boat tail bullet for it. They'll surely sell you what you need, usually in quantities of 50 - 100. They can probably set you up with someone that reloads.

Last edited:

LEAP

Babyblues,
I will be glad to give you a few casings so you do not have to drill out a primer. Send me a PM and we'll pick a time when I can meet you at the S Portland Rocklers. I also have a few 30-06 shells already made up and powder coated I'll sell you for $5 each if you want to go that way. Please do not play with live ammo with out the proper tools.

sparhawk

Dont mean to hijack this thread but i would like to know how to undo a live shell too. But only because i havent been able to find any .270 moly bulletts to buy. Anybody know anyone that sells them?

Sylvanite

If you have the option of using new or fired components to make a rifle cartridge pen, then I recommend you do so. If you must start with a live round, send me a PM and I'll arrange to disassemble it for you.

Regards,
Eric

KenV

Here is a bit more of an explanation. I am a reloader and have acquired the gear to pull loaded ammo apart. Most reloaders get it to salvage and reuse components or to recover the parts from an experiment in loads that did not work well.

There are a couple of styles of bullet pulling gear. The inertial bullet pullers are a special hammer that uses the inertia of the bullet to remove it as the device is struck onto a hard surface. The rear of the case is restrained but the bullet is free to move forward. There are also collet pulling devices that hold the bullet while the case is pulled away. Both work - As I remember, an inertial puller from Midway Arms is about $20.

Discard the powder and remove the primer with a depriming tool. These are made to fit into a reloading press or there are hand tool versions.

Loaded ammo is classed as hazardous materials for shipping purposes and you do not want to be caught mailing it. UPS charges extra.

Bet bet is to acquire components -- I like the barnes non-lead bullets for drilling and you can get nickel plated cases for many sizes of cases and avoid the tarnish problems.

Summary -- find someone with the tooling to pull cases apart (a reloader) or buy components. The risks of taking loaded ammo apart without the tooling are higher than most will accept -- and medical costs are higher than the savings. Midway Arms is a good place to go and Google will get you to the web site quickly.

babyblues

I guess I'm not going to try it. Thanks for the honest answers.

I forgot that Cabelas built a new store in southern Maine. Since they sell brass and bullets I'll just go see what they have.

sparhawk

Thanks Jason! That is exactly what i was looking for. Thought they would look good on a nickel cartridge. (You havent seen any chrome european rifle clips have you?):biggrin:

Top Bottom