Question about Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dasimm

I recently found a few rods of some very nice bakelite but they seem very expensive and I'm not sure where to begin on determining the value of these rods.

Soooo - my question is how do you go about determining the value/price of a 12" x 1" rod of bakelite?

Also is there a way to tell if I'm getting genuine bakelite?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bakelite has a very distinctive smell when you turn it.

Like all other materials, it's value is in the eye of the purchaser. Find a collector who wants your pen (Made from bakelite) and you can name a price (depending on what the collector will afford).

Remember this stuff is from the 1930's, turn with care.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bakelite has no Mold Lines
Bakelite is heavier then other plastics
Two pieces of Bakelite struck together will have a distinctive sound
Bakelite has a unique surface, interiors usually slightly pitted.
Run hot water over a Bakelite item. It should have a formaldehyde type odor.
Take a small bit of Simichrome on a cotton swab. Rub it on an unobtrusive area. It is best to then take the other end of your cotton swab with no Simichrome on it and rub VERY HARD against the polish you have left there to see if you get a stain. Bakelite will stain the cotton swab a yellow or brown color.

Depending on size and color, bakelite rods can run from 75-cents to $3-4 an inch.

dasimm

Probably because it's primary components were formaldehyde & asbestos... Not exactly environmentally friendly

Also certain acrylics and other plastics were easier and cheaper to manufacture after WWII.

DozerMite

Banned
I found a few manufacturers that are making bakelite. I haven't tried any since it would need to be imported and they require a minimum order. That leaves me out to place an order.

I also read...
Bakelite was considered as a material for pennies during WWII because the copper was being used for the shell casings. Instead, in 1943 they used steel. I have over a hundred of the steel pennies, unfortunately, I never found a Bakelite penny.

Top Bottom