Question about aluminum pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscm1

I recently purchased some aluminum stock to make some pens. My first attempt was close but not quite. On one end of each of my blanks that I drilled one of the holes ended up bigger than the other not to mention it was all off center. What am I doing wrong? Also would there be anyone out there that might be able to drill and center my blanks if I sent them to you?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Which end? If it was the 'top' side where the drill bit starts, you may need to get a center drill to start the hole (also called combination center drill/countersinks) It is much more difficult to start a true hole in metal than in wood. Are you using anything to lubricate the drill? Even a little water will help. Those are the two main things, I think. Center drill are relatively cheap. Let me know if you are unable to find one, I've got a few spares.[:)]

LEAP

Darren,
I did a couple aluminum pens last week and learned alot from them. The first was to clear the drill bit very frequently during drilling. I also drilled in steps starting with a small bit and and working up to size. With the first blank I drilled it seemed like the aluminum shavings were building up between the flutes of the bit and the blank and making a rough surface in the drilled hole. Like Paul said lubrication is a must. Go slow and use a sharp bit and you should get good results.

CaptG

Hi Darren, If you keep having problems and want someone to drill out your alum. blanks, I work in a machine shop and will drill them out for you. Let me know.

smoky10

I drill mine on the lathe using a Talon chuck with spigot jaws and have no trouble centering the bit. You really need to go slow and keep the bit lubricated to keep the heat down no matter how you drill aluminum.

Russb

My first two and only two aluminum pens were drilled with a brad point bit. It would not have been my first choice but it was the only 7mm bit I have. It worked.I drilled it as if it were a piece of wood nothing special. Drilled on the drill press with the blank held in a pen vise. I should correct that "nothing special" statement. Whenever I drill any of my blanks I use a steady stream of air directed into the hole with a rig I set up. I feel this keeps the blanks and bits cool to prevent break out and other drilling problems. Of course I cleared the bit often as the chips cling to the bit.

20075616351_alum%20pens.web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom