Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

A customer wants a mechanical pencil. I only found pencil kits, none that specify mechanical pencil. They want it in a two barrel,upper is one color and lower is another color. I found a Jr. Gent in a pencil that would work but don`t know if that would be a mechanical pencil.Any suggestions would be helpful

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Yes, the Jr Gent is considered mechanical (as is a Euro pencil kit and some others) - a twist of the upper half will advance the lead. be aware, on the Jr Gent pencil, the cap does not remove and screw onto the other end - it stays attached.

greggas

Jr. Gent, cigar, Euro and Flat top american ( all at CUSA, except Cigar at Penn State and others) are al mechanical pencils with two barrels.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Carl,

In my understanding of "American", a "mechanical" pencil is differentiated from the "wood with lead in it (OK, graphite, since it really is NOT lead)". So, any pencil that moves the "writing stuff" is "mechanical".

Just a FWIW.

fernhills

Carl,

In my understanding of "American", a "mechanical" pencil is differentiated from the "wood with lead in it (OK, graphite, since it really is NOT lead)". So, any pencil that moves the "writing stuff" is "mechanical".

Just a FWIW.

Hi, yes Ed, that's what i thought, 2H 4H so forth. I was thinking on the terms where more then one grade would be available in one pencil such as the ones with different colors. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was just trying to be on the same page with the customer. Because back when i was in high school,(before dirt), in drafting class i saw a pen that would eject the different grades of hardness in one pencil encasement by turning it,then clicking it.

jleiwig

Because back when i was in high school,(before dirt), in drafting class i saw a pen that would eject the different grades of hardness in one pencil encasement by turning it,then clicking it.

That would still be a mechanical pencil. Similar to a car being called a horseless carriage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Drafting pencils like that were sold by Bruning and GAF (General Analine and Film) in the 60's and 70's. Then came CAD.

(I sold for Bruning-1970+)

Both companies no longer exist.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A customer wants a mechanical pencil. I only found pencil kits, none that specify mechanical pencil. They want it in a two barrel,upper is one color and lower is another color. I found a Jr. Gent in a pencil that would work but don`t know if that would be a mechanical pencil.Any suggestions would be helpful
All kit pencils are "mechanical" including slimlines. Some advance the lead by way of twist mechanisms and others use click mechanisms but they are all mechanical.
Smitty

Daniel

I also agree that all the pencil kits (with the exception of the link above) are Mechanical. the question is what size lead the customer is looking for. if they are looking for the 2mm or so drafting lead holder that is another matter. I want to find those kits cause I will make a couple dozen just for my shop alone. my drafting skills never got past the table and lead pointer phase and I still like my lead holders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom