Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

schapekop0701

What is the most difficult sort of wood to turn??

I'm asking because yesterday i have been turning old ebony,i'm still sneezing.
The black stuf is everywhere.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I guess it depends upon what you mean by "difficult". For me it would be Cocobolo as I'll have a nasty rash for two weeks after turning it.

Regards,
Michael

eharri446

For me it is cherry. It does not matter if it is domestic or African it makes the sinus go crazy as well as putting me into a sneezing fit.

However, Cocobolo does not even bother me.

More4dan

Thuya Burl. I'm highly allergic. One sniff and a sinus headache soon follows.

For tuning splalted pecan even stabilized exploded on the last pass with a shallow cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Jim Smith

For those of you that have sneezing, headaches or sinus issues when turning these woods, do you get these symptoms even when you're wearing a powered ventilated hood/face shield? I started wearing one a number of years ago because the fine dust bothered me and it's almost completely stopped now that I wear a Triton face shield.

Jim Smith

CREID

For those of you that have sneezing, headaches or sinus issues when turning these woods, do you get these symptoms even when you're wearing a powered ventilated hood/face shield? I started wearing one a number of years ago because the fine dust bothered me and it's almost completely stopped now that I wear a Triton face shield.

Jim Smith

For me it is a rash on sensitive skin. Like if sanding dust gets inside my shirt. Not devastating, just annoying for a couple days.

bpgoldo

Guys, I am so glad this topic is coming up...again. It's kind of a crusade for me. These woods are all classed as "sensitizers". You are being exposed to vaporized quinones generated at the point of contact between wood and steel. Not dust. Quinone vapors! Dust masks won't stop them. I spoke with a craftswoman in Hawaii once who said she virtually got into a "moon-suit" style get up and tried turning Cocobolo....and poof, she blew up like a hivey balloon. If you must turn it ( I know...I was there ) then know that you have only so many pieces before you become sensitive to it. Choose your projects wisely.

mmayo

Worst wood ever, but gorgeous!

Please send your cocobolo to me and I'll happily keep you from any allergic reaction.

Now this wood will make you ill. It is guanacaste wood from Costa Rica. Sand some and off gases from CA glue will be far better.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000FFC_zpsubzxcfvu.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000FFA_zps8zyz50pv.jpg

I made my personal tackle box from these two thick pieces. The man a Tule Peak Timber kiln dried the wood and re-sawed it for me in a huge Laguna bandsaw. He warned me over and over what was in store for me.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000FFD_zpsg9adgidn.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000FFF_zps7lpwbtrw.jpg

I guess a guanacaste tree in the rainforest of Costs Rica produces very powerful insecticides which also bothers humans profoundly.

Top Bottom