Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Has anyone ever done a turorial on how to change/replace the plastic female threaded center band insert on any of the many kits that have. I know they do get broken occasionally.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's a fairly major disassembly job. You have to knock out the finial first, using an appropriately-sized transfer punch. Then you have to go in from the finial end with a different transfer punch and try to punch out the threaded plastic tube together with the center band. That's the way I would attempt to go about it. If all that is successful you then go through the usual assembly steps.

GaryMGg

IF we're talking about the coupling similar to what's in the Baron, I've had to do this once or twice. I do it a little different--very little but I think worth the difference:
After I knock out the finial, I drop in a washer which is just small enough to go all the way down to sit on the back of the plastic tube.
At this point, I use a transfer punch.
This provides support all the way around and prevents damage to the part.

Last edited:

magpens

That's a good point, Gary. I was assuming the plastic tube was damaged already.
Leaving out the washer, it would certainly get damaged.

The washer may have to be sanded or turned to the right size to fit inside the tube.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you see it described, you realize why there is probably NOT a youtube on it.

Pretty boring watching someone hit a punch with a hammer repeatedly and not seeing anything happening!!

On most kits, it is a slow, painful process!!
BTDT

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Pretty boring watching someone hit a punch with a hammer repeatedly and not seeing anything happening!!

BTDT
I was not asking how to do it....that I know. I just wondered if anyone had made a tutorial that I could refer the occasional customer who needs to do it to. It looks like there isn't.

edstreet

It's very easy to do and yes I have posted one. Most kits any decent skilled turner should be angle to fully disassemble one in 5-10 minutes with 0 damage.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

BTDT
I was not asking how to do it....that I know. I just wondered if anyone had made a tutorial that I could refer the occasional customer who needs to do it to. It looks like there isn't.
edstreet says he has published a tutorial on this ---- but since didn't say where or give link to it, I am assuming there is no published method showing this operation.

edstreet

attachment.php

Attachments

• Yoda Google Fu.jpg
    Yoda Google Fu.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 245

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

edstreet

Everyone is/was welcome to ask questions in replies if something was not clear or even to clear up things that was assumed. So far that post has a whopping 1 reply with 780 views. Which means approx 300 some unique people saw the post.

As as stated in the post the threaded insert tube pushed right out easily.

ladycop322

I had that issue last week and it seemed as if I was hammering the punch over and over without any movement. Thank God for my brother in law....it took him a couple of good smacks...I would like to add that I am a professional turner and the fact that I couldn't punch the part out, has ZERO bearing on my work. I have over 50 orders to get finished by Christmas and that is hardly someone who is not skilled or professional (just sayin')

Top Bottom