Quantities and suppliers for order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

As a newbie, I am putting together my first order for supplies and need some assistance with quantities. Having to ship outside of the US means that I need to strike a balance between the order quantity and the end price (shipping, duties, etc.). I also have to make sure that I don't hold the glue so long that it degrades due to age.

As far as finishing is concerned, how far would a gallon of CA take me? Also a jar of EEE?

For gluing tubes into blanks how much thick CA per say 100 pens?

I am checking out CSUSA for products but would also appreciate any other suppliers.

Thanks

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

For the CA, to here: http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html As for quantity, 16 oz is very sufficient. I have had mine almost 1 yr and no degrading as yet. I keep mine in the fridge and use small bottles he has for every day use. Medium is what I use for gluing tubes. And the best part, you CAN NOT beat the price. How many pens will it last for? 16 oz will glue and finish well over 100. IMO.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Shipping alone will be about $45 for a medium flat rate box (roughly 8 x 11 x 5.5 inches, 20x 28x14 cm). This is actual cost, most of the bigger vendors will add a service charge for making out the customs, etc). You will be allowed up to 20 pounds (9kg) of merchandise in that box.

So, you probably want to find someone who has all the supplies you need in one place. As to CA, you will get a LOT of pens from a 2 oz bottle. But you probably want thin and thick and, possibly a bottle of accelerator.

Can't tell you how long for EEE, I don't use it.

Hope this helps, CSUSA is probably as good as anyone--PennState Industries also has an extensive selection. You MAY be able to find everything you want at Woodnwhimsies---you'd save a few dollars.

Hope this helps!!

(Alphageek --Dean--wrote at the same time I did. I suspect you will want things that we don't have, but I would be happy to help you by email!!)

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'd recommend you remember Exoticblanks.com too in the future... Not very often you get really good advise from an experienced turner like Ed AND he is willing to recommend you to order from others!!

Last edited:

steeler fan1

Without knowing what 'supplies' you intend to buy its hard to make suggestions. The obvious thing would be to buy what you can locally and only order what you absolutely have to. You can get a lot of consumable items at a local hardware, hobby store, or craft store. While those stores might be a little more expensive, after you factor in shipping and customs it might be worth it.

Save the shipped order for things you can't get anywhere else(kits,blanks, bushings).

Be creative, make as many of your own tools, jigs, etc as you can. There are some great totorials here and elsewhere to help. And the good folks here are always willing to help.

Just my .02

Carl

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Shipping

Without knowing what 'supplies' you intend to buy its hard to make suggestions. The obvious thing would be to buy what you can locally and only order what you absolutely have to. You can get a lot of consumable items at a local hardware, hobby store, or craft store. While those stores might be a little more expensive, after you factor in shipping and customs it might be worth it.

Save the shipped order for things you can't get anywhere else(kits,blanks, bushings).

Be creative, make as many of your own tools, jigs, etc as you can. There are some great totorials here and elsewhere to help. And the good folks here are always willing to help.

Just my .02

Carl

This is good advice - get what you can locally. CA glue in various textures is probably available locally as is gorilla glue for gluing tubes.
Sanding supplies also should be locally available.

A Jar of EEE will last a very long time. Hundreds of pens.

Shipping is as Ed said for a medium flat rate box (About $45)...a large box adds about $10 (giving you a little more bulk) both are restricted to 20 pounds.

siric

Just my .02

Carl

This is good advice - get what you can locally. CA glue in various textures is probably available locally as is gorilla glue for gluing tubes.
Sanding supplies also should be locally available.

A Jar of EEE will last a very long time. Hundreds of pens.

Shipping is as Ed said for a medium flat rate box (About $45)...a large box adds about $10 (giving you a little more bulk) both are restricted to 20 pounds.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Good to know that the quantities are in the ozs and not gallons!!. I have checked around and all that you can get here in Barbados is .2 fl oz. for traditional gluing purposes.

The shopping list sis growing and should soon be done.

Suggestions appreciated for good quality blanks and pen kits.

Thanks

Steve

Top Bottom