In a quandary - blank ideas needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

This may be a bit long. Let me apologize up front.

Some background:
I have a team of folks at work (9) and I would like to make pens for everyone - matching set with water slide decals with our group name and the person's name. The pen kit will be a chrome Sierra from Timberbits.

My original thought was a green/silver PR blank or green/micro pearl PR blank. The decal would be our team's group signature from email. The company logo is a gold emblem and group signature is in green - company colors.

I have cast and turned multiple blanks. Painted the tubes - green, white, and black. None seem to have the desired look and allow the decal to be seen. I think a pr blank with green is now off the list (though I would still like it).

I turn now to the brain trust - what ideas do you have?
- other colors
- skip the pr blanks and go with wood
- clear cast (this would be a new one for me)
- other thoughts ...

Thank you for indulging my long post and I look forward to your ideas

PJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Personally, I think we sometimes try to mix too many techniques into one pen. I can see a problem with a decal on top of a pen made from a PR blank with swirled colors or just one color. Have you considered white? I know...boring but a nice decal on a white blank or a light colored wood can look nice. Nake them a pen with a really nice blank made with company/team colors or use a boring blank with the decal to spiff it up.

I prefer to print the logo onto a label along with names and clear cast with polyester resin. I can post a picture of some I have done if you are interested in seeing them. Actually, some are shown in this article: http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/casting_pen_blanks.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don
This may be a bit long. Let me apologize up front.

Some background:
I have a team of folks at work (9) and I would like to make pens for everyone - matching set with water slide decals with our group name and the person's name. The pen kit will be a chrome Sierra from Timberbits.

My original thought was a green/silver PR blank or green/micro pearl PR blank. The decal would be our team's group signature from email. The company logo is a gold emblem and group signature is in green - company colors.

I have cast and turned multiple blanks. Painted the tubes - green, white, and black. None seem to have the desired look and allow the decal to be seen. I think a pr blank with green is now off the list (though I would still like it).

I turn now to the brain trust - what ideas do you have?
- other colors
- skip the pr blanks and go with wood
- clear cast (this would be a new one for me)
- other thoughts ...

Thank you for indulging my long post and I look forward to your ideas

PJ

BeSquare

Other option is to segment it, white or a white swirl in the center and then the green swirl blanks on the top and bottom of the barrel. Would give you a background for the decal as well as the colors you are looking for.

- Rich

JustmeinMS

You could always get some burl and dye it green, if you would like to go with green. That will give the pen character and the color you are looking for.

I just made my wife a couple of pens to give away at her work and I used a purple with white swirl blank. I had the same problem until I printed the decal on white paper and cut it out in an oval shape, it worked fine on the swirl blank.

plano_harry

Ok, I have to agree with Don on not going crazy with too many things going on in your pen - HOWEVER, if you want to get crazy, you could scroll saw a chunk of white resin the shape of your logo maybe 1/8-1/4 inch thick, use double side tape to stick it to the bottom of your mold where you want it; swirl your PR around it. After casting - turn to size, attach decal and CA then finish.:cool:

Harry

OOPS

When my brother gives pens away at work, he always makes them so that no two are alike. He then allows each recipient to pick the pen that they want, using seniority, or some other method. It seems that they really get excited picking their favorite, much more so than if you just gave them one.

Hendu3270

Do a white PR blank with green/silver swirled end rings. Your greenish-gold label should look good with the white background and the end rings will accent it nicely.

Or green/gold swirled end rings...oh and use thin brass plate between the white and end rings.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Other option is to segment it, white or a white swirl in the center and then the green swirl blanks on the top and bottom of the barrel. Would give you a background for the decal as well as the colors you are looking for.

- Rich

Should have read all the posts before I posted. Rich had the same idea. I think this would look great.

Top Bottom