Quality of Woodturningz.com Pen Kits???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeyPerot

I recently bought 30+ pen kits from woodtruningz.com. I purchased their Slimline (Fancy) kits as well as their Saturn kits both in Chrome and Gunmetal finishes.

My initial thoughts are that these kits are very reasonably priced and as far as I can tell they are good quality. I am particularly fond of their gunmetal finish...it's almost black and is visually very sharp looking.

Here's my question...

Have any of you guys used these kits and gotten any feedback on how they hold up? Do the finishes chip/crack? Are the transmissions solid?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeyPerot

Herb,

I know they sell a lot of the PSI stuff on their site but I'm not sure these two are PSI models. The packaging was not the standard PSI packaging I'm used to. It was very generic with very minimal labeling on it. I looked on the PSI website and didn't see the Saturn kit style. Not a big deal either way...

Just want to do some digging before ordering more...

Joey

JoeyPerot

Thanks for the feedback...I went ahead and placed another order.

Just wanted to make sure there weren't any horror stories before diving in again. As I mentioned, I've been impressed with them to this point.

BCnabe

I've had some problems with the black finish of the lower assembly on their Mesa pens going bad.

Woodturningz has been very good about replacing them at no charge. That's nice of them but it's still embarrassing for me to have a customer bring a pen back for bad finish.

Scratch

I use Woodturninz kits quite often. They aren't bad kits for the price. I use mostly Chrome and Gunmetal hardware because they are more durable than the Gold. I would definitely change out the refill before selling the pen though. I've had a few complaints about the refills skipping and drying out shortly after using.

TonyL

I like the folks and products that WZs apparently sells as their own or exclusive to them. I did buy 3 Orions from a member who actually wanted to give them to me for free while I was visiting him at his home, but I insisted on paying for them. I wasn't impressed (nor was he), but I only turned one. I like the fact that it doesn't have that facet section like the Baron. I am going to give another one a try though.

This is it: Orion Rollerball Pen Kit - Chrome - WoodTurningz

Last edited:

JoeyPerot

Funny you should mention that on the refills...I also thought they were a little iffy.
I just bought 30 refills yesterday from Beaufort Ink just to try them out.

I also bought the Cross "Broad" refill from Office Depot last week and have to admit I really like it. Writes smooth and has a nice thick and bold ink.

JoeyPerot

That's great to hear! I saw the post yesterday on here about them and thought I'd give them a try. Only bought 20 cross style refills this go round but plan on buying more if they're good.

Thanks!

Stephen

I've had some problems with the black finish of the lower assembly on their Mesa pens going bad.

Woodturningz has been very good about replacing them at no charge. That's nice of them but it's still embarrassing for me to have a customer bring a pen back for bad finish.

I wish they will have gun metal and TN Gold for their Mesa kits. I have had many returns as the black finish and 24k gold are not durable.

Just a note on the Saturn.. Usually I call instead of doing my order online. The Saturn is the same size as the Trimline, If you ask for the Trimline they give you a good price on the ones from PSI.

DaveVW

Joey, I have used hundreds of pen kits from Woodturningz over the past 6 years.
I find them very attractive and durable. I had only had a few pen recipients bring them back to me. Mostly the complaint was about the finish on the pieces I have turned.
I use CA exclusively. Typically the cause has been abuse by the owner.
For example, One kit I have refinished 3 times now for a good friend.
He carries it in the same pocket in which he carries his car keys.
I just sand down tothe wood and re appy CA and polish it. The pen kits likewise were pretty scratched up. So, I replace them to. I agree with one comment about the Mesa kits. There seems to be a quality control issue with the fit into the tube. I solved it with a touch of meadium CA.

Additional comment. I find Woodturningz phone staff very helpful and friendly.
Hope this is helpful.
Dave VW
I recently bought 30+ pen kits from woodtruningz.com. I purchased their Slimline (Fancy) kits as well as their Saturn kits both in Chrome and Gunmetal finishes.

My initial thoughts are that these kits are very reasonably priced and as far as I can tell they are good quality. I am particularly fond of their gunmetal finish...it's almost black and is visually very sharp looking.

Here's my question...

Have any of you guys used these kits and gotten any feedback on how they hold up? Do the finishes chip/crack? Are the transmissions solid?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joey

Dehn0045

I can't really speak to the quality, but I agree with Dave that Woodturningz staff is very helpful and their shipping is very fast.

Charlie

I use woodturners fancy slimlines, have had no problems with them.

I also use there Roadster and European kits. Thy work great also.

Top Bottom