Quality of threads in pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bybon

I finished another pen tonight using a Streamline Round Top roller ball kit. I have done several of these and they all seem to have the same problem. The crests of the threads are razor sharp and the geometry is incorrect. This makes the pens uncomfortable to hold, where fingers come into contact with threads, and the mating is very loose. Being a machinist, there are a couple of tricks I use to get a slightly better fit, but I should not waste time doing this.
One thing I have discovered during my short time making pens is one gets what one pays for as kits go. :bulgy-eyes: It is like anything else; cost usually indicates quality.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Vance, as a machinist, could you deliver a kit with the quality of threads that you desire at a competitive price? No question that kits could be made better, it is just that they have to be inexpensive enough to sell well.

bybon

Good morning wdcav1952. I fully understand and agree with your thoughts regarding a product being inexpensive enough to be profitable for the maker. I believe when the kits were first made the threads fitted much better. I cannot imagine the prototype threads being so loose and undersized. Wear on the tooling is part of manufacturing, but so is quality control. Admittedly, my standards may be different and may need to be adjusted to fit with what will be available. Thank you for you input and reality check. Regards

wdcav1952

Vance, knowing nothing of machining and tolerances of doing so, I had not considered tooling wear. Thanks for that bit of information to tuck away for future use, and thanks for taking my remarks in the way they were intended.

bybon

wdcav1952 it has been my experience since I have been on this site, members are here to help and offer their opinions as gentlemen. That said, I understood perfectly the motive of your comments. Regards

Vance

Russianwolf

One of the problems with those kits (as well as the almost identical Round Top Euro Rollerball/Fountain) is that the threads are metal on metal and as such don't hold up well (plating wise) or stay tight. Most of the other kits (the Baron, etc) have a plastic piece in the cap that the metal threads mate to that stays much tighter and reduces the plating wear.

It's too bad as they are nice kits, but I think I've done my last of them. I will be tying to make something similar in appearance once I get some tooling in to do kitless pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Vance,

I read Cav's comments a little deeper.

Consider it an invitation!!! COULD you make something at a reasonable price? There certainly would be a market for it here!!!

bybon

Good morning ed4copies. In the near future I plan on making parts for some small dia fountain pens. Most of the ones I see are quite large and not suited for smaller hands. Also, I want to experiment with using more metals taking the place of woods and plastics in pens. I do not plan to do break-out work, but try to duplicate some of the amazing things you guys can do.
I can only spend very limited time doing work at this time as a total knee replacement makes standing difficult. Regards,
Vance

I could be persuaded, in the future, to make certain parts for members.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Vance, I also have a "bionic" knee. Is yours relatively new? I had mine done in May of this year, and consider it the best surgery I have ever had. One of the inmates where I work said he didn't know who I was at first since I wasn't limping across the compound any more!

bybon

wdcav1952 I had a partial done about three years ago. The replacement left me in serious pain for years. I finally relented and decided to go again, but for a complete replacement. That was about six weeks ago. I am trying to keep up with my post surgery therapy so it will be a successful replacement. Thanks for asking.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Vance,

I look forward to seeing any parts you can make. You will find there are a number of members hoping to improve on commercially available pieces. I don't think they would sell in large numbers, but the concept of making higher priced, nicer, more exclusive pens is very appealing to some of us.

bybon

ed4copies "the concept of making higher priced, nicer, more exclusive pens is very appealing to some of us." I agree completely! I have been loading up on the lower priced kits and have, on the whole, been fairly pleased. The most I have spent thus far has been for my a Majestic Junior. So you can see I have not really touched the higher end kits. As I gain some ability at pen making I hope to contribute with some part that transform good kit into very nice ones.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Follow some of Texatdurango's work (and many others in the advanced forum). The only REQUIRED parts are the nib feed and cap threads. Otherwise, a closed-end pen with some type of custom clip seems to be where they would like to go.

I'm more in line with thinking the screw parts need to be metal or machined resin. I'm afraid "die-cut threads" will not pass the test of time. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. YOU ARE WELCOME TO DISAGREE!!!

Daniel

Ed, Your comment "You will find there are a number of members hoping to improve on commercially available pieces. I don't think they would sell in large numbers
brought to mind Lou's Fountain pen nibs. I am not at all sure how well they have done but it would be a great way to have at least some expectation.

wdcav1952

wdcav1952 I had a partial done about three years ago. The replacement left me in serious pain for years. I finally relented and decided to go again, but for a complete replacement. That was about six weeks ago. I am trying to keep up with my post surgery therapy so it will be a successful replacement. Thanks for asking.

Vance, you are most definitely right in that the physical therapy is very important. I was offered the partial replacement as an alternative, but felt like it was just a warm up for a total knee. Other than making air travel very interesting :rolleyes: my new knee is great!

Top Bottom