Quality in Slimline Transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

I always have bought cartridge kits but today I ruined a transmission in one of them. Now I am going to try and make some from the beginning. I notice there is a big difference in prices of Slimline Transmissions. Is their a big difference in quality? When it comes to slimline kits I have only bought from Woodcraft and PSI. So I don't know if there is better quality except in plating. I am more interested in the Transmissions for Cartridges. Thanks Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Rich,

I've gone through a lot of slimline transmissions in making rifle cartridge kits. I did notice some variation in quality (i.e. increased defect rate) in Rizheng transmissions some months ago, but haven't had such failures recently. The PSI (regular kits, not funline) transmissions have always been good for me. I don't know who makes them, but they do appear different than the RZ ones. Be aware that there are small differences in tube diameter between slimline kits as well.

If you'd like help salvaging the cartridge with the damaged transmission, let me know.

Regards,
Eric

bkersten

I had a problem with oversized tranny ends a while back in that they were collapsing when being pressed in. I took and put them in the end of a cordless drill, used 600+ emery paper and took them down some. Never had a problem getting them in then. Initially, ruined 4 before I saw what was going on and sanded them down. One thing, the bad ones were replaced by PSI. Bob

ldb2000

I buy my slimline and cigar transmissions for my kitless stuff from Jimmy at woodpenpro . They are good quality , prices are good and his shipping is unbelieveable . I get my orders faster from him then from PSI , PSI is about 100 miles away and he is in Hawaii .

RichB

I was able to pull the transmission out and the cartridge is OK. I put in a new one from tn Apprentice Fancy slimline and it fit OK. Thanks for the information. I was looking at Woodpenpro. Eric this was one of yours because I haven't bought any from anybody else. I ruined it by trying to tighten it up in the upper tube. Thanks for all the information. Rich

Sylvanite

I ruined it by trying to tighten it up in the upper tube.

I've done that myself as well. Pulling a damaged transmission is chancy, though - I'm glad you pulled it off. When I run into a loose fitting upper barrel, I try not to modify the transmission. Instead, I put a couple of drops of thin ca glue in the upper tube, twist it around so that the glue spreads and let it cure. This reduces the inside diameter by a couple of thousandths which tightens the grip. It may take a couple of applications.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom