Quality Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

devilfan

I Buy Alot Of My Pen Kits From Pen States And Woodturningz i Was Just Wondering If You Buy A Better Quality Kit Anywhere?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I think it all falls under the "you get what you pay for". All or most kits come with finish options. The better finishes (I.E. Black TI, Gold TI, Rhodium) will cost more than the cheaper (Gold Plate, Gun Metal, Chrome <- Chrome is still good). I have bought kits from a few different venders and I cant say one is really better than the other to an extent that I would buy one over the other. Most of the inside works are the same. Maybe the design is a tad different so I buy from one guy over an other.

Ohh yea, you may have opened quite the can of worm here. Take cover and thicken that skin. Naa I'm kidding..........no I'm not take cover:biggrin:

Last edited:

crabcreekind

On alot of rollerball, and fountain pens, i would stay away from anything with plastic male threads. Personally i dont like the look, and most of the "better kits" have metal threads. Ex jr gent 2, triton, atrax, statesmen, majestic

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On alot of rollerball, and fountain pens, i would stay away from anything with plastic male threads. Personally i dont like the look, and most of the "better kits" have metal threads. Ex jr gent 2, triton, atrax, statesmen, majestic

This is a good distinction.

We have had "metal on metal" threads in older kits. This design "wears" the plating off the threads pretty quickly. Cosmetically, this is a problem. Also, metal on metal is more likely to "unscrew" in your pocket---also a problem.

The metal MALE threads and plastic FEMALE seems to be the most acceptable solution. The female threads are not visible, but being the softer material, they will wear if anything does. So, cosmetically, the pen continues to shine.

The plastic threads do wear and in some cases crack, so nothing is perfect.

FWIW,

Ed

Russianwolf

Penn State has some quality kits and some not so quality kits just like EVERYONE else. They are marketing to everyone, so they need kits that fit the needs of everyone. From the guys doing art shows, to the guys selling at flea markets.

If you want a kit that you don't have to worry about the plating and such, then your choices are extremely limited. Silverpenpart.com, The Marksman Eagle and the Desire from Lazerlinez are about the only ones that I know of that are solid material (so far).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I Buy Alot Of My Pen Kits From Pen States And Woodturningz i Was Just Wondering If You Buy A Better Quality Kit Anywhere?
The truthful answer is Yes and No - it depends entirely on the kit. PSI sells kits in the range from $1.95 to $59.95. In that broad a range surely some of their kits will be better than others.

The real question you ought to be thinking about is; comparing apples to apples, dollar for dollar can you find better value. I am a vendor so I won't answer that question, but it is the question people should be asking.

Last edited:

WWAtty

The cheap pens are great for when you are getting started. Screwing up a $2 slimline is not much of a big deal during the learning process.

I don't know what your experience level is, but many pen turners, once they get their skills built up a bit, tend to move on to better quality components. They last longer, and the moving parts have a better, smoother feel, etc. Better platings last longer. Titanium & Rhodium > chrome > gold for durability. You generally get what you pay for. Besides, if you are turning some exotic, expensive materials, do you want to use them with cheap components?

BTW, there are some folks here who sell good components at reasonable prices and offer great service. Check out the "Vendor Catalogs" page and look around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom