Quality between two pen kits question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have turned several Sierra's but have never turned Craft Supply's Aprentice Classica. Those who have done both - how do they compare in quality?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

It is hard to believe that 170 people read this message and not one person had any info to share! I guess I will have to try them and let you all know!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keith,

I think that tells you something!! Those who like CSUSA will buy from them. Those who like Berea or the resellers will buy from them.

The main motivator to change is something wrong with what you are using. Neither vendor makes BIG mistakes, or has BIG problems with their pens.

thewishman

I like Sierras - especially the transmissions. I like Craft Supply's nicer kits. I will not be trying any of the Apprentice line or PSI's Funline. I make pens to sell and I want dependable quality and durable platings.

Sorry you didn't get the info you were requesting.

keithbyrd

"I think that tells you something!! Those who like CSUSA will buy from them. Those who like Berea or the resellers will buy from them.

The main motivator to change is something wrong with what you are using. Neither vendor makes BIG mistakes, or has BIG problems with their pens."

Ed - That was what I thought but with no experience I wanted to seeewhat others thought. I have a 30 pen order and didn't want to make a mistake on the quality - thanks for the comment

"I like Sierras - especially the transmissions. I like Craft Supply's nicer kits. I will not be trying any of the Apprentice line or PSI's Funline. I make pens to sell and I want dependable quality and durable platings.

Sorry you didn't get the info you were requesting. "
Chris - I make pens to sell too and want the same thing as you -quality and durability! I appreciate your comments. And I did get what I wanted! It just took a different route!
Thanks Ed and Chris!

Last edited:

airborne_r6

It is hard to believe that 170 people read this message and not one person had any info to share! I guess I will have to try them and let you all know!

I don't think very many people on here use the Apprentice line, they generally tend to stick to the Artisan line. You may have to wait awhile before someone who has used both reads this and replies.

In that style of pen I have always used the Wall Street II from Woodcraft, which interestingly enough, now that I look at it, is identical to the Apprentice Classica. I may have to try the Classica, it is cheaper.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

I don't think very many people on here use the Apprentice line, they generally tend to stick to the Artisan line. You may have to wait awhile before someone who has used both reads this and replies.

In that style of pen I have always used the Wall Street II from Woodcraft, which interestingly enough, now that I look at it, is identical to the Apprentice Classica. I may have to try the Classica, it is cheaper.

Actually, the WoodCraft kits are made by Berea.

So, while the Classica MAY be identical (or not-internally), the Berea sierra line IS identical to the Wall Street II and the Sierra Vista is the Wall Street III.

beck3906

Like me, many people read the thread but have nothing to offer because we haven't used the Apprentice line. Doesn't mean we aren't watching for a response so we an learn from your request. :wink:

walshjp17

I mostly use Woodcraft/Berea WS II/Sierra or PSI's Gatsby. I prefer the top end action of the Gatsby to the bottom twist of the WS II, but the Woodcraft store is close so I can get kits when I need them w/o waiting for the mail.

raar25

I have used the CSU apprentice classica pens and they are very good kits for the price. If you are trying to keep the price point under $30 they are perfect. I have sold a dozen or so over the last 2 years and none have come back. The transmission is the same as the artisan pen and sierra was last year, although I think one of them may have changed to a slightly different design. I use alot of gun metal and chrome kits and have had not problems with the plating. I find it very similar to the Berea kit which i usually buy at Wood Craft. Although my carry pen from 2 years ago from Wood Craft has had the gold Ti plating wear off the tip and the black Ti where off the body some. So I am very satisfied considering it is half the cost of the Artisan and WC kits.

Is that what you were looking for?

keithbyrd

I have used the CSU apprentice classica pens and they are very good kits for the price. If you are trying to keep the price point under $30 they are perfect. I have sold a dozen or so over the last 2 years and none have come back. The transmission is the same as the artisan pen and sierra was last year, although I think one of them may have changed to a slightly different design. I use alot of gun metal and chrome kits and have had not problems with the plating. I find it very similar to the Berea kit which i usually buy at Wood Craft. Although my carry pen from 2 years ago from Wood Craft has had the gold Ti plating wear off the tip and the black Ti where off the body some. So I am very satisfied considering it is half the cost of the Artisan and WC kits.

Is that what you were looking for?
Yes - thank you! I was looking for people'sexperience using both products!

sandslatta

I have made one-tube kits from Penn State, Timberbits, CSUSA, Berea (via Bear Tooth Woods - yea for Ernie), and Woodturningz. In terms of quality, the Artisan stuff from CSUSA just appeared better - thicker finish, etc. For a cheaper kit, I really thought the Timberbits stuff was really impressive. We have only sold 60 pens or so, but given hundreds as gifts, etc. - and we have only had one pen come back - ran over by car and scratched the clip badly. The Manhattan, Chicago, and Anaheim apprentice kits from CSUSA are really nice - they are Artisan quality, at least in my opinion. I only made three or four of the Classicas, and I won't order them again. They just looked cheaper.

Top Bottom