Q's aboutCSUSA Apprentice Pens, sierria click pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

railrider1920

Hi folks,
My wife wants to make up a bunch of pens for some people she knows. They are going to be give aways. I was wondering what anyone thinks of the Apprentice Pen series from CSUSA. With everyday use, I imagine that the plating might wear off sooner than others. How are the rest of the kits? Trannys work ok? Put together easily? She likes the look of them, but I'm wondering if I should go with 10K plating instead. Probably would be going with the slimlines and european pens.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Apprentice_Pen_Kits?Args=

Who sells the sierria click pens? Do other companies sell it under a different name?

Thanks for your help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul Downes

Personaly, I have gotten to the point of not making any kits that are not ti-gold, platinum or chrome. If you plan on selling pens for very long I wouldn't risk the bad reputation of having the plating wearing off in 6 months or so. I have been "test driving" a berea 10K gold pen for about that long and the plating on the finial is all worn off and the clip looks rather sad.........my vote would be to spend a few more bucks anf get the better finishes.

MobilMan

Just got some in NEVER AGAIN. Using a pen press will bend a ridge around the nib. I'm used to the Woodcraft kits & if you push these trannys in as far- it's way too far. Try to push the nib back out & it bends the nib outward from inside. Out of 8 kits, I had to glue 2 nibs in, cause they just 'fell' into the tube. The finish is very cheap looking. They were $1.50. These are donations to be given to women when they graduate from a drug rehab. place along with their certificate. Didn't want to get in too deep but then didn't want to be that Cheap. Have thought about just taking wood that I've got plenty of & making pens & giving them to anyone just to get rid of them & let them know why it's free.

curlyjoe

Berea doesn't make a 10k gold kit.
The China kits are not a good buy any way you put it. The plating is cheap and will not hold up.
24k upgrade gold works ok
tg is the best

MobilMan

I've used the Woodcraft 'Cobalt' for sometime. I've carried the European for over 3 years & the wife uses a slimline daily she's had at least that long. Hers was Zebrawood & I noticed a couple of weeks ago, the wood had a crack on the nib end. So--make another one. I put the old one & the new one side beside & cannot see any difference in the wear on the kit. I WAS supprised, but glad.

TowMater

We made up about 40 of the Apprentice kits for Xmas gifts this year (only got our lathe in October so we were new to it).

I've only had one come back with a problem, and he works in the field in construction so I'm not surprised.

So far everytime I see a relative and ask to see the pen, they are holding up very well.

Surprising really as some of the ladies carry all manner of crazy stuff in their purses and you'd expect the plating to be very messed up by now.

kent4Him

I am in agreement with Paul. Even 10k wears off pretty quickly. The only 10K I use is when they want the cross clip for the Euro. If you have any interest in selling, consider one of the best sources for sales are people you or your wife know. Forget the apprentice.

bitshird

Try the slimline pens from woodnwhimsies, also consider goint to Chrome plating, or Satin pearl, their kits are as good or better than the apprentice kits, their shipping is excellent, they take care of their customers, Not connected in any way, but I've dealt quite a bit with them for my inexpensive pens and stuff.

kent4Him

I am in agreement with Paul. Even 10k wears off pretty quickly. The only 10K I use is when they want the cross clip for the Euro. If you have any interest in selling, consider one of the best sources for sales are people you or your wife know. Forget the apprentice.

railrider1920

Great. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be going to a better grade than the apprentice. I wasn't thinking about the people that receive these referring others back to me. That is a good point.

What about the Sierra click pens? Who sells them? Are the sierra click pens sold by someone else under a different name? I'm asking so that when I put together an order, I'd like to try to keep it to one place to save on shipping.

Thanks again

Russianwolf

Berea has all fo those kits in chrome at decent prices. I go with Arizona Silhouette myself , others with Beartooth (look on the home page and you should find the links over on the right).

AS has the Chrome Slims for $1.75 and The Chrome Euros for $3.99 last I checked. Some prefer the Olympia over the Euro.

The thing I like about Chrome is that is it very durable (rated behind Titanium and Platinum only) and silver goes with everything while some blacks don't work well with gold.

Top Bottom