Is This a QC Issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Purchased and turned my first PR cast Computer Circuit Board blanks and found what looks like a a very wide seam the total length of the blank which can't be hidden with the pen clip.
Is this normal for these type of blanks?

Les

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

I've done a few of these... Yes they are mass produced, but "fake"? I know the components that are on they are real (I dug into one accidently and ripped one of the components off - so I played with it...). I suspect they designed a board of the size to fit around the tube, plus I doubt it was put onto any type of substrate. I've had circuit "boards" that are on flexible plastic backing - it's not uncommon actually... are those "fake" too?

The other part is any board when wrapped around a tube is going to have a seam. Even if by real you mean a rigid board that's been sanded or otherwise reduced to the point it can be wrapped around the tube, and then cut to size, that's going to have a seam too. You might be able to blend or hide it a bit better.

To the OP: I always order a stylus kit when I order the circuit board set and switch them. It works, but use light touches.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

If I recall the dark green areas (that is making up the seam in this case) are the areas with no "copper" pathway underneath. The boarders of circuits typically do not have a pathway and so would be the darker green color. So this is just the edge of the board. Could it have been trimmed before they cast? yes. But I don't think it detracts from the concept.

1080Wayne

I've done a few of these... Yes they are mass produced, but "fake"? I know the components that are on they are real (I dug into one accidently and ripped one of the components off - so I played with it...). I suspect they designed a board of the size to fit around the tube, plus I doubt it was put onto any type of substrate. I've had circuit "boards" that are on flexible plastic backing - it's not uncommon actually... are those "fake" too?

The other part is any board when wrapped around a tube is going to have a seam. Even if by real you mean a rigid board that's been sanded or otherwise reduced to the point it can be wrapped around the tube, and then cut to size, that's going to have a seam too. You might be able to blend or hide it a bit better.

To the OP: I always order a stylus kit when I order the circuit board set and switch them. It works, but use light touches.

Fake , in the sense that it never had any purpose in life , other than to extract money from you . It has never had electrons tirelessly running around inside it , working to provide you a service , which leaves you with the problem of how to represent the pen to the consumer .

76winger

The ones I've done have had a narrow green line, a little lighter than the circuit board material. They also aren't quite that wide, although it's hard to tell dimension on your close up photo.

Here's what's on one of mine that I made about a year ago:

Click to see the larger version from MPA and you'll see it's not too bad on this one. The blank is one of the "Artisiblanks" that Woodturningz sells.

MobilMan

Looks like it was cut too short to wrap around the tube tightjy. I have one here I turned 3-4 years ago and it's very hard to see the seam on it. If you will assemble it with the clip over the seam it will be a lot better.

I would cover with the clip and call it a day. I have not used these blanks and like to try to make my own now but if someone calls that out because of that I would be surprised. Cover it up with the clip and move it on out! Nice pen it is gonna look great all made up.

Top Bottom