pvc blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

It is usually pvc sewer pipe and the colors that I have used are blue, green and purple. I got my blanks from Bruce 119. That pipe is very thick and there is enough meat to make even large pens and bottle stoppers.

JohnU

Talk to the guys at the city waste water department. They often have some pieces of pipe around. Maybe one of them will help you out for a new pen.

Justturnin

I use plain old Thin Wall 3/4" PVC from the big box store and it works fine.

EDIT!!

I missunderstood. Did not realize you meant making the pens out of PVC, thought you ment for casting. This is new to me. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Blindzman

I got a guy who use solid grey pvc for some type of insulator at work and he give he pieces that are about 1" thick solid pvc.

sumterdad

I own a plumbing company if I can figure out how they made blanks out of sewer pipe I could make them and send some to who ever wanted them. And yes I would use new pipe LOL

Drstrangefart

I own a plumbing company if I can figure out how they made blanks out of sewer pipe I could make them and send some to who ever wanted them. And yes I would use new pipe LOL

All you need to do is get pipe with a wall thickness of 3/4 inch or greater. Cut it into square bars about 5 1/2-6 inches long and PRESTO! You made PVC blanks.

its_virgil

PVC rods come in many colors that are much nicer than the colors used for pipe. Yes, the pipe will work but the colors are not for my taste. Do a google seach on PVC rods and you will find some interesting finds. But, you may want to get a couple of friends to share the 6' rods. Someone a few years back purchased one rod of several colors, cut them into blank lengths and sold what he didn't want to keep. No, I'm not interested in doing that but someone may be.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

sumterdad

Not sure where you find it that thick. there is not any standard plumbing pipe that is 3/4" thick in the wall at least not at any plumbing warehouses around here.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

12 inch diameter blue PVC watermain pipe has a wall thickness of about 1/2 inch , so expect you would find 3/4 inch on 18-24 inch dia . Probably only available from a public works dept or a contracting firm .

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have some green 1" th. 4.5" X 7", 3 pcs of 1" sq. blue, 6" long, and 3 pcs of 1" sq. pink (purple) 5" long.

Pay the mailing (PayPal/Personal), and it's yours!

toddlajoie

12 inch diameter blue PVC watermain pipe has a wall thickness of about 1/2 inch , so expect you would find 3/4 inch on 18-24 inch dia . Probably only available from a public works dept or a contracting firm .

Yep, I see stacks of it laying on the side of the road whenever they're putting in a new neighborhood or upgrading sewers. They don't seem to be worried too much about people trying to steal their 3/4 wall thickness, 24 inch diameter, 12 foot long pipes... probably get several thousand blanks out of one if you could find 10 friends to help you run away with one in the middle of the night...:ghost:

I bought some of the ones Bruce was selling a while back, and while I agree the colors are a bit, take-it-or-leave-it, the feel of the finished pen is very pleasant. I made 2 or 3 full pens out of them, but again, the color is a bit much by itself (blue, green, and purple/magenta) but work nicely for inlays, segments, and centerbands...

I'd be interested in the colored rods if anyone looks into them...

its_virgil

I looked up the source of the ones I purchased once. Here is where the seller of the blanks purchased the rods.

http://www.modernplastics.com/pvc-rod-type-p-1060.html

From the PVC rod page linked above.

Modern Plastics offers PVC Type I rod in 10 brilliant solid colors: Red, Black, White, Medium Dark Blue, Light Blue, Green, Purple, Orange, Yellow and Hot Pink in all standard diameters from 1/4" through 6" diameter

The colors I have are really nice. Much nicer than the water pipe colors.:biggrin:

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I'd be interested in the colored rods if anyone looks into them...

PaulDoug

Not to hard to get the thick wall stuff. Go where they are putting in a new housing development and ask for some scraps. I needed some black once to make a Halloween pen. Couldn't find that in thick so I took DWV pipe. Cut strips of it and glued it together. It worked fine. Mad this pen that way:

Attachments

• pen 47 10-2008sm.JPG
    pen 47 10-2008sm.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom