PVC?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some of you, but how in the world do you use PVC for pen turning? I have seen a few pictures and threads using the material recently. I tried to do a search but it didnt like he term PVC, even though I know I have seen it in threads before

Do you use the normal PVC pipe from the home improvement store and find a pipe that it close to the bushing size and then turn it down? If so, how do you assure the inside diameter of the pipe will fit the kit? Is there a tutorial on this I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some of you, but how in the world do you use PVC for pen turning? I have seen a few pictures and threads using the material recently. I tried to do a search but it didnt like he term PVC, even though I know I have seen it in threads before

Do you use the normal PVC pipe from the home improvement store and find a pipe that it close to the bushing size and then turn it down? If so, how do you assure the inside diameter of the pipe will fit the kit? Is there a tutorial on this I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Commercial sewer or water pipe comes in a heavier gauge like 3/8 or more and you use it just like a pen blank.

Lin.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
They use large diameter PVC that is at least 1/2 thick the green /purple colors are from the type of use the pipe is intended for. Usually they get it from an acquaintance that is a plumber on commercial jobs or from a job site that is throwing away cutoffs. I think Lowes and HOme Depot both carry a pvc wood grain trim piece. Its 3/4 to 1 in thick I dont know how it would work.

lorbay

Here is a blank I got from bruce119.

Lin.

Attachments

• sewer pen.jpg
    sewer pen.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

propencity

Blue PVC Pen blank.

Bruce,

The blue one looks perfect. Do you or anyone else know if this material can be engraved (laser)? Customer is requesting for engraving. Anyway I have sent you an email on how I could purchase the blanks. Please pm me on the details. Thank you all for your input and help. As always, IAP comes thru.

Mark

Here take a look this is an old add in the completed section of the classifieds. It will show you what type is used and some photos of pens.
Blue, Green & Purple Jumbo Water PVC Pipe FREE SHIPPING* - International Association of Penturners

bruce119

Bruce,

The blue one looks perfect. Do you or anyone else know if this material can be engraved (laser)? Customer is requesting for engraving. Anyway I have sent you an email on how I could purchase the blanks. Please pm me on the details. Thank you all for your input and help. As always, IAP comes thru.

Mark

Here take a look this is an old add in the completed section of the classifieds. It will show you what type is used and some photos of pens.
Blue, Green & Purple Jumbo Water PVC Pipe FREE SHIPPING* - International Association of Penturners

Hi Mark,
I still got plenty of PVC just click on my link above same deal PM me with what you want.
As far as engraving ... don't know why not but you contact your engraver and ask. I do know PVC is something you do not want to burn and breath fumes very toxic.

I will send you a PM.

maxman400

Bruce,

Mark

Hi Mark,
I still got plenty of PVC just click on my link above same deal PM me with what you want.
As far as engraving ... don't know why not but you contact your engraver and ask. I do know PVC is something you do not want to burn and breath fumes very toxic.

I will send you a PM.

I was told that there is a chemical in PVC that will harm the lens on the laser.

low_48

Bruce,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I will send you a PM.

I was told that there is a chemical in PVC that will harm the lens on the laser.

DO NOT LASER ENGRAVE PVC. It produces chlorine gas, used in World War I by the Germans. It combines with the moisture in the lungs to produce hydrochloric acid. Completely rusting out the laser would be a minor result after the operators possible death.

Dan Hintz

Do you or anyone else know if this material can be engraved (laser)?
I'll have to answer this one with an "it depends..."

It can be engraved, but as others have mentioned, the offgassing is a real problem. Not an insurmountable one, but something that will need to be considered.

For the laser itself, the acid attack issue is a major one... personally, I only do PVC when I will be kiss-cutting the plastic, so the amount of offgassing is minimized (personally, I would not risk the machine for such a small-ticket item... if you were doing thousands, then we could talk). In such cases, I make sure my dust collector is on full blast to keep the fumes from collecting on the machine's surfaces. For the human factor, I use a home-built vapor filter that removes pretty much anything harmful from the airstream.

So, it is possible, but you have to find an engraver who is willing to risk his machine (a quality dust collection system with a lot of flow is imperative here, but its workable) and one that also has the requisite filtering (or simply blows it outside above the roofline).

Top Bottom