Puzzle Piece?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I've been doing a renovation at a client's house and after the job is over, I like to give them a pen (made from the wood of the house if it's a Century Home or older). This is a new house so I'm doing a Lignum Vitae for the father, a Koa for the mother and the daughter is getting her Master's in Special Education focusing on the Autism Spectrum. I don't want to do the whole puzzle piece pen - just a maple blank with a single black puzzle piece.

Anyone ever tried that before or have an idea how to do it? Turn down the blank then carve out a puzzle piece then fill it with epoxy?

BTW, I have a commission for a Nakashima table and there is a large black occlusion in the middle of the wood where the grain forks. I'm going to fill that with black epoxy. What do you mix with epoxy to color it black? Oil paint, latex, ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan26

Do you have access to a scroll saw? You could do an inlay with contrasting wood. I've done this with a Christmas tree and state profiles.

its_virgil

If you don't want to cut the puzzle piece yourself then contact Ken at Kallenshaan Woods Personalized Laser Engraving and discuss with him about what you want to do. Or, maybe someone here at IAP can do it for you.

For coloring epoxy I have used the paste pigment I havce for use with polyresin. Use several means to color the epoxy black to see what works. I have also used mica powders with epoxy with excellent results. PearlEx Powder also works. I get PearlEx powder from Hobby Lobby but my local store does not have black. Hobby Lobby should have some pigments for Polyester resin.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Anyone ever tried that before or have an idea how to do it? Turn down the blank then carve out a puzzle piece then fill it with epoxy?

What do you mix with epoxy to color it black? Oil paint, latex, ????

iowacobb

Puzzle inlay

I agree with Don that Ken at Kallenshaan Woods would be one option. Ken could also cut the puzzle piece to inlay.

Another option would be to contact Fred Wissen aka PTownSubbie and have it CNC cutout. Then you can fill with resin.

Links to their contact information can be found in the penturning Supplier Directory under Services. Here's the link. Services | Supplier Directory | Pen Turning Network

Thanks,
Tim McGill

joek30296

If you decide to go with an autism spectrum pen, check with Constant at Lazerlinz. I got one of his last year and gave to my daughter who is also as special education teacher. She loves it.

The kit was very simple to put together, includes the black (missing piece of the autism puzzle), and IIRC was only $25. I believe I put it on a
Wallstreet II from Woodcraft.

Top Bottom