purpuleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

secord

I am in the process of making a pen and pencil for my daughter in-law using purpleheart. After I turned it down to shape the purple color disappear and became brownish in color. What will bring back the original color? Is it time, exposure to sunlight, or air or what? I do know that heat will cause it to turn purple (but do not ask how I know this:biggrin:)!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

I use PH for a lot of my flat work and buy it in larger sizes. When I do, the first thing I check is the color on the end grain. That will give you a good idea of what it's going to look like once it is turned or worked down. If it is brown now, chances of it turning bright purple are not real good. Sunlight will help some but often it will turn to a purple'ish grey color, which really is pretty but definitely not bright purple. The same applies to Paduak. Check the end grain. I buy my lumber at MacBeths and they are pretty good about cutting a thin slice off the end so I can see it without the accumulation of dirt.
Hope this helps.....good luck

secord

Thanks, I will wait and see if it turns back to purple with sunlight and time.
Secord

edstreet

I am in the process of making a pen and pencil for my daughter in-law using purpleheart. After I turned it down to shape the purple color disappear and became brownish in color. What will bring back the original color? Is it time, exposure to sunlight, or air or what? I do know that heat will cause it to turn purple (but do not ask how I know this:biggrin:)!

'Purpleheart brown' IAP search results.

Jim Burr

Banned
I heard if you hit it with a heat gun, it will bring that color back, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't have a heat gun.

Oven at 125/150F works the same. It's a thermochemical reaction so either heat or light will start the process. Kinda nice to use in Wisconsin in February!

Dan Masshardt

Oven at 125/150F works the same. It's a thermochemical reaction so either heat or light will start the process. Kinda nice to use in Wisconsin in February!

How long Jim?

It works fine to wait a couple days but instant gratification is nice.

I'll bet the brass gets hot? No proba with the epoxy?

Jim Burr

Banned

How long Jim?

It works fine to wait a couple days but instant gratification is nice.

I'll bet the brass gets hot? No proba with the epoxy?

Literally depends on the time of year Dan. Did a peppermill in June, from brown to purple in 2 hours. Oven...I'd start with a 1x1 fresh sawn blank and see if 45 minutes meets the need.

Top Bottom