Purpleheart Fuming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Hi, I read a few times in the forum where some people expose their purpleheart to muratic acid to turn the wood a cranberry color. My first question is, how does one expose the wood to the fumes? Do you do it after turning?.. My next question is, what do you do with the acid after you are done with it? Will it turn the color of other wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have suspended my PH over the acid in a closed container after turning and sanding. This can take several minutes before you see any changes. Be sure to use a neutralizing agent, (I've used a baking soda water solution) or the pens will corrode rather quickly DAMHIT. Then lightly resand, being careful not to sand too much and apply your finish.
As for disposal of the acid. I kept mine in a closed contaner for resue. If you want to dispose of it, you can nutralize it with a baking soda solution, but be VERY CAREFUL so it doesn't splash back on you during the process. <h2>BE SURE TO USE RUBBER GLOVES AND EYE/FACE PROTECTION</h2> any time you use acid.

desert1pocket

Acid treatment gives a completely different color than heat or uv exposure. Many people dilute the acid and wipe it directly on the wood. While industrial pool acids are the quickest and most effective, lemon juice will work also. Slightly different color, but it sure is a lot safer and more pleasant to use.

GBusardo

Monty, I turn and sand the blanks, then I suspend the blanks over the acid. After the blank turns color, I sponge the blank with bakingsode and water? I guess the easiest way is to suspend while still on the mandrel, but then I got to wipe off the mandrel and bushings also, I guess. Then I can sand, finish and assemble? I usually use enduro, so I don't think I will have a problem with fogging because of the soda and water. What kind of container do you use? I might try the lemon juice too.

Frank, I have about given up on guessing which purpleheart pen will turn brown and which will stay purple, why it turns brown and why it sometimes turns back to purple with light and heat. I am really looking for a different color.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jarheaded

If you are not familiar with acids, don't experiment without someone that is. To neutralize the acid, use ammonia. Only use it in a well ventalated area and don't touch it (splashing does count). I have seen a number of accidents due to acids so use caution.

Top Bottom