Purpleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So I was wondering if I am the only person who doesn't care much for purpleheart blanks. I have attempted 3 different cigar pens and not happy with any of them. I guess maybe they just don't shine up like I want and the grain colors I am not super fond of. The reason I ask is I have made 3 cigar and one slimline. I actually traded my last purpleheart blank to my friend for a leopard blank last night. I have used thus far, birch, cocobolo, cherry, ebony, mahogany, acrylic, maple burl, Bethlehem olive, zebra, & tulip. Think that's all from what I can remember right now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I've learned, with purpleheart, to bring the wood 'down to the bushings', put it in the sun for a couple of days, and then apply your finish. I seem to have a more 'purple' and less 'brown' color. The UV rays bring out the color.

SDB777

Is it just the 'grain' that's boring you, or is it something else?

I ask because the last bunch of the Purpleheart I received was quite lack-luster, grain as straight as a carbon-fiber arrow shaft. Just no cool details.

Getting it to shine, well I don't have any problems with that. But it takes some doing to fill in all the little 'pits' in the wood.

Scott (guess there ain't too many burls on purpleheart) B

scotirish

I have done many things (Pen's, Bowl's etc.) in Purpleheart. My wife loves it so I make things for her with it. I found the color (A deep purple) returns almost immediately when I use BLO then a finish.

bruce119

As Dan said it will take a few days of sun light to get nice and purple.

First time I did purple heart I thought I got riped off. They were a nice bright purple when I got them turned them and they were a boring brown. Asked about here and was told the same thing. Put them in the sun and they turned back to purple and as time goes on they just keep on getting brighter. Oh and you don't have to wait to finish them. I use CA rite after turning when they were still brown put them in a window sill were they can get some UV rotate from time to time. In full sun you will see a difference in an hour in a week they will be nice and bright in 3 months even brighter.

Oh that's if you got the good stuff. I am told that if it turns brown when you cut that is the good stuff. If it brighter purple when you cut it not the good stuff that will brown in time like ceder goes from red to brown.

good luck

Mark

My wife has a salt and pepper set made of segmented purpleheart and maple. It makes a great contrast. Definitely a keeper.

jskeen

I did a few purpleheart pens in my first dozen or so too, but Moved away from it as I acquired some better woods. It is wonderful stuff for segmenting and larger pieces that show off the color, but for small diameter items like pens, Grain and figure in the wood are so much more important than color, and I have never seen purpleheart that is not straight grained. The very open grain structure of the wood also makes it difficult to obtain the signature "glassy smooth" finish of an accomplished penmaker. With the relatively tiny surface area, and the extremely close inspection range pens have, only the absolute finest, most visually arresting woods make the grade. The only other application that I can think of where wood quality is as critical is the dashboards and trim in Rolls Royce and Bentley class automobiles.

Everett

heat

Another thing to do to bring out the dark purple color after you have turned and sanded to size. Take a cloth and apply it to the wood while it is turning and cause some friction. This will heat the wood up and bring the color out also. This does take some time to do as you will get stripes if not done evenly.

dankc908

I did a few purpleheart pens in my first dozen or so too, but Moved away from it as I acquired some better woods. It is wonderful stuff for segmenting and larger pieces that show off the color, but for small diameter items like pens, Grain and figure in the wood are so much more important than color, and I have never seen purpleheart that is not straight grained. The very open grain structure of the wood also makes it difficult to obtain the signature "glassy smooth" finish of an accomplished penmaker. With the relatively tiny surface area, and the extremely close inspection range pens have, only the absolute finest, most visually arresting woods make the grade. The only other application that I can think of where wood quality is as critical is the dashboards and trim in Rolls Royce and Bentley class automobiles.

I found some "Curly Purpleheart" at my local woodstore that makes and absolutely striking pen. The grains is, definitely, NOT straight! The next time I turn one I'll post a pix!

Dan

Seer

Why not try a crosscut blank or angle cut to change the looks I do that with Bubinga and it comes out totally different.

PenMan1

It may be that you are just turning too much of it. I try to buy wood in big chunks or big lots to control cost. THEN, I turn 'em all at once. By the time I'm finished, I'm tired of WHATEVER I have been turning.

Move on to another material and save the purpleheart for a while. "Absence makes the purpleheart grow fonder".:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not a fan

I don't care too much for purpleheart either. Although a Classic that I did keeps getting more and more purple as time goes on, but there are a lot of little checks in the wood that don't look too good.

wb7whi

I usually have my lady carry several purple heart slimlines in her purse and when we see someone wearing a retired military cap we give him a pen and thank him for his service.

Otherwise I have little use for it.

DurocShark

It may not be the most interesting grain but the Women love the Purple color it has .

This. Purple with a rhodium kit is a big hit for me. Ladies love it.

I did the american filigree kit (PSI... forget the actual name) in rhodium and purpleheart and actually had two women fighting over who got to buy it! :eek:

Caden_Hrabak

I only like purpleheart if you manage to burn it all over so that really deep purple comes out but fresh off the lathe ugh!

Rfturner

I was told this by a guy in town, stick it in the oven around 275 for 10-30 minutes. I tried it then messed with it for different effects it makes the sap rise to the surface giving it a much darker purple, you can also burn it with a lighter, matches, blow torch etc. for the same affect. I have done this on and off the lathe. You can do tiger stripes by selective burning it is only up to your imagination. Purple heart is a great conversation starter too. If you stick it in the oven try aluminum Foil so that it is barely touching in a random pattern it looks pretty good when it is done

edstreet

stabilize it, game over.

IMG_4009.JPG

LarryDNJR

I usually have my lady carry several purple heart slimlines in her purse and when we see someone wearing a retired military cap we give him a pen and thank him for his service.

Otherwise I have little use for it.

Now that is cool. Great idea. I might have to follow suit if you don't mind?

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
There are occasions - like gifts to our people in the Service - when purpleheart just seems to be the right choice. I always make sure that my pens that have purpleheart wood have been set out to brighten the purple hue if I haven't used some of those already mentioned burning techniques that bring up the sap.

Once in a blue moon I have found some nice curly purpleheart as well. Works great in segmenting. It does keep getting a richer and richer color.

Top Bottom