Purchasing phase complete... Commence making pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Haha, it reminds me of some youtube video I saw a week ago. It was one of the big companies that sells pen supplies and they started the video with "Turning your own pen is a fun and inexpensive hobby" ... it was something just like that and I had to laugh!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

The title of this thread is so innocent it makes me chuckle each time I see it.

Same here. I've only been turning since around September (maybe October), and all this hobby has done is cost more and more. I thought all was good, then I walked into the North Houston Woodcraft (my first time in a woodcraft). I walked out sans $325 but with a new Nova precision midi chuck, various kits (NO PENS!!) and more large blanks than I could carry! Having said that, every time this thread pops up, I think "when is that? Death?"

Haha, Very true. I don't think the purchasing ever ends!

Hendu3270

Haha... that's a good point... really makes me laugh lol. I just got done placing a big order on PSI last night... dropped a few bills 2 nights prior... and now I just bought some blanks today from rockb!

Rofl... you're too keen!

I'm already trying to wrap my head around sharpening. I read an article in the library and its like... not just as simple as a sharpening stone or a bench grinder. There is apparently and entire sub culture of sharpening...

I picked up a Skil bench grinder (6") from Lowes when I started, and switched out the rougher wheel for a finer grit wheel I bought online based on recommendations on the forum. Built a crude jig and it works fine for me. The sharpening system out there are just too "pricey" for me to consider.
Well, hello from the Beaumont area :)

Hello neighbor to the east!

Hendu3270

Same here. I've only been turning since around September (maybe October), and all this hobby has done is cost more and more. I thought all was good, then I walked into the North Houston Woodcraft (my first time in a woodcraft). I walked out sans $325 but with a new Nova precision midi chuck, various kits (NO PENS!!) and more large blanks than I could carry! Having said that, every time this thread pops up, I think "when is that? Death?"

That's the Woodcraft I go to as well. I HAVE to have a plan when I go to Woodcraft. If I don't, then I walk out with way too much stuff.

Cmiles1985

Luckily I had time constraints, so I couldn't spend too much...time. I had to go to my office up there, so I thought I'd pop in for a few minutes and see what it's all about. Now I need to learn how to make my wife a purpleheart salad bowl, my son and I each a black palm ice cream bowl, and a pizza cutter, coffee scoop and ice cream scoop for our kitchen. I wouldn't normally buy from a physical retailer as their overhead is much higher than an online vendor, but some of those things you just have to see in person to know you want it.

Hendu3270

Haha, and the list of future projects just goes on and on....

I've spent and hour jsut looking through the larger blanks in the back before. I like actually putting my hands on the blanks and having "in person" contact with those blanks before buying as well.

jfoh

Be aware that pen turning can change your life. There were two twins who started turning pens as a hobby. One was a heavy drinker and drug user and the other was a hopeless gambler. Both had good jobs and made very large salaries. When they found pen turning they were just about to the point where their money needs for their bad habits were about to break them. Once they started turning pen and buying stuff their money problems got worse fast. They only way they could keep turning pens was to give up their drinking, drugs and gambling. Forced to make a choice the addictive pen turning made them give up drinking, drugs and gambling. Now they are stuck with women, family and pens. Be careful of the road you choose and the money it cost.

StuartCovey

Be aware that pen turning can change your life. There were two twins who started turning pens as a hobby. One was a heavy drinker and drug user and the other was a hopeless gambler. Both had good jobs and made very large salaries. When they found pen turning they were just about to the point where their money needs for their bad habits were about to break them. Once they started turning pen and buying stuff their money problems got worse fast. They only way they could keep turning pens was to give up their drinking, drugs and gambling. Forced to make a choice the addictive pen turning made them give up drinking, drugs and gambling. Now they are stuck with women, family and pens. Be careful of the road you choose and the money it cost.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it's true :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Interesting story and one that we could have a lot of fun with that is for sure.

Top Bottom