PSI's Slimline Pen- Problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cat6492

Have turned several of PSI's Slimline,am having problem with center band . After assembly I notice the band has some movement on the piece you screw the ink refill into. This allowa it to feel smooth on one side and catches finger nail on other after assembly. Any one else experience this? Seems to be a tolerance thing. I know it has to slip over those ribs but you get a loose band:(. IE- quality control.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

I detest those stupid dinky center bands,but in the few slime lines I've done I haven't had a problem with them.
Pull your pen apart and look at teh wood surrounding the tube.
Is it concentric?
An off center blank or unbalanced one can do that.
Did you feel the blank "wobble" or vibrabte as you were sanding it?

wayneis

No you are right, sometimes the band will have a hole that is bigger than the transmition and is sloppy. The only that I have thought of to fix the problem is to ca the band in place being carefull not to get any on the wood.

Wayne

Scott

Hi Spencer!

I use PSI's slimline kits for the slimlines I make. You're right, they have to make it loose enough to go on, which sometimes allows it a bit of play. It is a small amount. I find that I usually don't turn my pen barrels down that close to where the centerband would stick out. Even on a fairly straight slimline pen, I try to have a bit of a shoulder next to the center band, so that the center band doesn't stand proud of the rest of the pen. That also helps to hide the play in the centerband. Of course you could glue the center band to the pen barrel as suggested. I hope this helps!

Scott.

Could the "Bulk Buy" department come up with a oversize center ring for Slimline style pens that is larger in diameter? If some great quantity was purchased they could be had for fractions of a penny. They could be made with designs, rings,embossing or what have you. A person then could turn a Slimline kit fatter in the middle, say pick a size that looks good and that there is a standard bushing available for. It would give versatility to the Slimline design. I see rings available from some sources in the .50 each price range. That is wayyyyyy to expensive for what it is.

Scott

Hi Mac,

There are a couple of kits on the market that are just this - a slimline with a fatter centerband! My favorite of these is the Father Sing pen from CSUSA, but I also really like the Streamlined Slimline from Berea (same as the Toni from Woodcraft). Heck, the comfort pen from PSI also has a fatter center band, and you don't have to use the rubber thing. Does this help?

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom