PSI'S LATHE TRIMMING BIT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

Has anyone used the new PSI Lathe Trimming Bit/ I could not find a thread with any comments.

Any info would help.

Thanks.
Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I think you could use a standard Forstner bit. It would leave a small dimple in the end of the blank to mark the exact center point for the drill bit. Forstner bits are not designed to drill into end grain, they are make to drill face grain. Not sure how it would work on acrylic.

hazmat74

I think you could use a standard Forstner bit. It would leave a small dimple in the end of the blank to mark the exact center point for the drill bit. Forstner bits are not designed to drill into end grain, they are make to drill face grain. Not sure how it would work on acrylic.

They work fine on acrylic if you go slowly. Was facing acrylic with one last night, actually. I've used them to face the tops of pipe bowls on briar burl as a rule before drilling chambers, pretty much end grain since you're aiming for straight grain up and down the bowl. Never had any problems so long as I took it slowly. That's pretty much all this trimming bit seems to be, a forstner bit minus the pointy piece in the center.

jttheclockman

I would not use it. The face of the blank has to be true with the tube. If you drilled a blank and that hole was slightly drilled larger than the tube, when inserting the tube it can sit at a slight angle. When you square the end of the blank you make up for this imperfecion by using a barrel trimmer. Just my 2 cents. A gimmick that is not worth the effort in my book. Get yourself a good carbide barrel trimmer. 4 head cutter is better than 2.

Top Bottom