PSI's Lacquer sealer=Cellulose Sealer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic Greco

In a recent discussion with my friend and fellow Penturner Jim Shaver, he mentioned that the finish he prefers for pens is Mylands Cellulose Lacquer sealer (followed by burnishing with 0000 steel wool and a coat of LV conservator's wax).

I've been using Penn State Industries Lacquer Sealer and was wondering if they are the same thing. I had a suspicion that the PSI sealer was a form of Shellac (since Shellac is referred to as the "Universal Sealer", and the scent of the PSI sealer reminds me of a shellac based product like Mylands Friction Polish).

I've looked on the label to see the ingredients, and didn't see shellac mentioned. By I did see alcohol (Ethanol I believe).

Any ideas here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Dom, I have had good results with Myland products, both the sealer & friction polish. However I would rather burnish with woodchips than metal. Never like using steel wool on any wood finishing. You always have some of that metal resadue or strands hanging around. Anthony

Gary Max

Plus steel wool will catch and slap the back of your hand.
Darn that hurts. Getting a steel wool knot off a pen plank is always fun also.
I ain't a fan of steel wool when it comes to pens. We do use steel wool for sanding between coats by hand on things like lamps--that are not on the lathe.

G

I have just started using Mylands Cellulose sealer and High build polish.
I was under the impression that they were all lacquer based.
(definite possibility I could be wrong.
After experimentation I have started using the sealer in a slurry to fill grain.(320 grit)
I sand up to 400 with paper and then repeat with mm.
After the first 3 grits of mm I apply another coat of the sealer heat it in and continue with MM.
After going through the MM I apply 3 coats of the sealer,"heating" each on in.
I then repeat the last 3 grits of MM.
I move on the the high build polish(3 coats)heating each one in and then 3 coats of carnauba wax.
this is a variation of the way Jason at Woodturningz said to apply it.
When using the MM after the sealer I use a real light touch.
After doing it this way it's difficult ti see the difference between this method and a good CA finish.
It takes about 5 minutes to put on the Mylands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom