PSI Victorian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made two of these pen and both of them have the same problem. when you twist it open it work great but then you twist it closed. The refill has to be pushed back in. I don't know if the spring just is not strong enough to pull the refill back in.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I have made two of these pen and both of them have the same problem. when you twist it open it work great but then you twist it closed. The refill has to be pushed back in. I don't know if the spring just is not strong enough to pull the refill back in.
Could be the twist. I had that problem with a Noueau Sceptre. I tried a different twist and it works fine. Could be a bad batch you're working with. Let PSI know about it.
Also does the refill move freely in and out through the tip. I had a tip with a tight opening and it effected the refill movement.

scotirish

Try wiping the end of the refill's to make sure there is nothing on it. If that is not the problem use a small round file to widen the opening so the refill does not rub. These are the fixes that I have used in the past.
Ron

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There is a possibility that you have the spring on the refill wrong. The larger diameter end goes toward the tip of the refill. That is a common cause of such a problem.

WriteON

I'm having the same problem. I think(my .02) the mechanism material is too soft. It distorts slightly when it's pressed into the lower body causing the refill to bind. It could be a bad batch of them. My first Vic from last month works well.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
After looking at the instruction sheet (I've never built one of these I would still be inclined to think the fix is in the spring. If you have it going the right direction with the larger diameter end toward the tip, I'd try lengthening the spring a little. If that doesn't take care of it Replace the mechanism.

What I would do in the future is make a jig that would allow me to press the coupler/mechanism in without putting pressure directly on the mechanism....the mechanism is obviously not designed to be pressed in. It looks like a piece of wood with a hole big enough and deepe to pass the mechanism but rest against the shoulder of the coupler would work so the pressure goes to the shoulder of the coupler via the wood rather than the mechanism.

I believe that PSI needs to rethink the assembly and allow the coupler to be pressed in before the mechanism is installed. Every other kit I have seen that uses a screw in mechanism does that.

e

After looking at the instruction sheet (I've never built one of these I would still be inclined to think the fix is in the spring. If you have it going the right direction with the larger diameter end toward the tip, I'd try lengthening the spring a little. If that doesn't take care of it Replace the mechanism.

What I would do in the future is make a jig that would allow me to press the coupler/mechanism in without putting pressure directly on the mechanism....the mechanism is obviously not designed to be pressed in. It looks like a piece of wood with a hole big enough and deepe to pass the mechanism but rest against the shoulder of the coupler would work so the pressure goes to the shoulder of the coupler via the wood rather than the mechanism.

I believe that PSI needs to rethink the assembly and allow the coupler to be pressed in before the mechanism is installed. Every other kit I have seen that uses a screw in mechanism does that.

e

I try lengthening the spring and that worked Thank you very much. I have someone who wants that pen and i hate to give out nonworking product.

WriteON

Smitty37;1671715 What I would do in the future is make a jig that would allow me to press the coupler/mechanism in without putting pressure directly on the mechanism....the mechanism is obviously not designed to be pressed in. It looks like a piece of wood with a hole big enough and deepe to pass the mechanism but rest against the shoulder of the coupler would work so the pressure goes to the shoulder of the coupler via the wood rather than the mechanism. [/QUOTE said:
I'm going to try that this AM. Thanks. Frank

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 85
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What I would do in the future is make a jig that would allow me to press the coupler/mechanism in without putting pressure directly on the mechanism.

Like a press block? I made some out of acrylic cut-offs... they do come in handy for some kits.
That would be a good name for it. I use one all the time on my click pens.

WriteON

It worked out great. Thanks for your suggestions. (8mm hole is perfect.)
Also stretched the spring slightly.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited: