PSI Trimline/Comfort Center band fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimpenna

Hi Folks,
I have been doing this now for about 10 months now and loving it!

I still seem to be having an issue with Center Bands fitting on my Trimline/Slimline/Comfort kits. These are really nice in my opinion and I am totally jealous when I see what a lot of the folks can do with them! I have just started using calipers, I am using a squaring jig by PSI(https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKLSQJIG.html) that fits on the headstock of my lathe (Turcrafter Commander) that seems to get my tubed blanks square, as well as a barrel trimmer on the ends before assembling. Yet, I still see minute gaps at the CB when I use one or when I omit the CB and just put the pen together without it. Some woods look better without the CB in my opinion. I just can't seem to figure out where I am going wrong. Need to do some more research on custom CB's but don't think I am ready for that yet. It seems no matter how much I use the pen mill on the ends, they just don't get to a "perfect fit" meaning no gaps. Any help would be most appreciated!!!!

Regards,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I would strongly suggest that you do your end-squaring on the lathe by gripping your blank in a head stock chuck and using a spindle gouge to cut.

Woodchipper

I use a drill press for squaring. I have a drill vise set up that is on the DP about 90% of the time. I set the blank against the bit and then secure it in the vise.
Tried to find a photo of the setup. :frown:

PenPal

Hi Folks,
I have been doing this now for about 10 months now and loving it!

I still seem to be having an issue with Center Bands fitting on my Trimline/Slimline/Comfort kits. These are really nice in my opinion and I am totally jealous when I see what a lot of the folks can do with them! I have just started using calipers, I am using a squaring jig by PSI(https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKLSQJIG.html) that fits on the headstock of my lathe (Turcrafter Commander) that seems to get my tubed blanks square, as well as a barrel trimmer on the ends before assembling. Yet, I still see minute gaps at the CB when I use one or when I omit the CB and just put the pen together without it. Some woods look better without the CB in my opinion. I just can't seem to figure out where I am going wrong. Need to do some more research on custom CB's but don't think I am ready for that yet. It seems no matter how much I use the pen mill on the ends, they just don't get to a "perfect fit" meaning no gaps. Any help would be most appreciated!!!!

Regards,
John
Two things come to mind.....1.Which centre Bands skinny or Streamline bands?

2. What punch et al you hold the blank on your device any slop in the fit? Where on your abrasive wheel you finish the facing,I find toward the centre is the least likely to be out of whack. Also it is critical to absolutely square from the holding post for the bank in every direction to the face of the sander.

Having done this examine your point to point relationship in your lathe,ie a dead stock inserted in the head stock with a point and one in the tail stock when brought together.
I place a feeler or flexible true flat thin metal between which clearly shows any error. If errors exist and you are turning out of round this will show also as an imperfection.

I will look for some pics to illustrate Slimline band and Streamline band.Also if I can how I square my blanks.

Peter.

Peter.

PenPal

Back again. My set up using two sets of punches metric and imperial to hold the blank in the drill chuck. Couple of larger centre bands.Couple of standard centre bands.

Cheers mate Peter.

Attachments

• Olive Wood 11.JPG
    Olive Wood 11.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Brown Mallee Burl 6.JPG
    Brown Mallee Burl 6.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF8271.JPG
    DSCF8271.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF7206.JPG
    DSCF7206.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 172

wouldentu2?

If your barrel trimmer is a 2 blade go to a 4 blade as the 2 blade does not leave a flat surface. Also many times there is come slop or wiggle in the pens because of the way the transmission holds the top tube. Try pressing the entire unit together and see if the gap goes away. If your ends don't have problems your technique is solid.

jimpenna

Peter,
The Trimline center bands seems to give me the most trouble. They just won't sit square on either top or bottom. I'm pretty much doing what you say. Using a very tight fitting punch with no slop. I also have sizing tubes for the common sizes. I'm going to check to see if my lathe is running true tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

jimpenna

Dave,
I use a four-blade barrel trimmer. I'm going to sharpen it and try it on the finished pens tomorrow. I tried what you said, pressed the pen together with no center band and there was a gap! Probably going to disassemble the pen and trim the ends and see if I get them to fit correctly. Thanks!

John

wouldentu2?

Is there any of the brass part of the transmission showing? Caused by taking milling too much off the blank. This hits the top tube leaving a gap.

Top Bottom