PSI transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ump416542

I am again having trouble with the transmissions in PSI kits. Today I tried to assemble a Gatsby pen and found another tight transmission. The transmission is so tight that it screws out rather than retract. This is the short screw in transmission with male threads. This is the third type of transmission from PSI that I have had the same trouble with. They have been good at replacing them but it is a pain in the tush. Am I the only one having this trouble or am I doing something wrong. Also what is a good source of replacement transmissions so that I might buy some to have on hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I haven't had any problems-I have gotten a few transmissions from the folks I buy the kits from much like you did with PSI. Richard Greenwald also sells them

Last edited:

kovalcik

I know that with slim transmissions, they can be a little gummy to start with and loosen up once you work them a little. Maybe yours will loosen up with a little use.

I have had the same problem with transmissions from PSI and others. Usually I put a drop of Dry Lube at the joint in the mechanism, work it for several minutes to work it in and loosen it up, wipe off any excess (wiping away from the threads), then the last thing I do is put a drop of Threadlocker on the threads, wiping off any excess, and install. The Threadlocker I use is the weakest I could find so if needed you can still remove the transmission.

JohnGreco

I've gone through a few hundred gatsby's and agree, there are some tranny issues like that. Also have had epoxy buildup on the front coupler for the 24k series prevent the nosecone from screwing on. Considering how many of them I've done though, it doesn't seem to be a frequent problem.

Of course that said, I did just have to call them to replace a busted tranny for a nouveau twist. It wouldn't retract at all, just locked in the protracted position.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The transmissions have probably been lying around and the internal lubracant has stiffened. I've found that warming the transmission a little bit then working it a few times usually fixes the problem. I think it's a bit pesky but not a really big deal. There are similar kits available that might have better transmissions though.

Top Bottom