PSI Transmission problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

Has anyone had problems with the newer slimline tranys from PSI when you press them in during final assembly?

I recently got 50 for a project and went through 5 before I caught on that they were too large on the brass tip that gets pressed in. When being pressed in, they were collapsing on the pivot joint like an accordion. I thought they were started off vertical, or snagging till I micro'd them out. They were slightly larger than the ones I have accumulated over the 12+ years, and have been getting from PSI.

I called them and had a nice conversation but was advised to send back the bad ones so they could see what was going on, and they would replace them. That didn't do much for the other 45 which I needed right then to get this project done. I ended up putting them in a VS drill chuck and spinning all on super fine emery paper just enough to reduce the dia some. It was trial and error to get the right amount off. They all then pressed in fine from there as if made for the brass tube. It sure wasn't a problem I expected, and took some thought on how to salvage what I had left. Wouldn't want to do this on future projects all the time, but then, you don't know it will work till pressing time comes I guess.

Keep the chips flying.

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I crushed several of them a few weeks ago making cartridge pens. I assumed (and still do) that I was doing something wrong. My parts came from WoodnWhimsies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's happened to me a few times.

WoodnWhimsies replacement trannys seem to fit. (Buy 10 at a time, from their site.)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Just a thought. If you kiss the tube too much when you end mill your blanks, you can slightly change the diameter of the tube. Using a chamfer tool prior to assembly will make it easier to press parts to place.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You are correct Cav, but this is not a "_____ hair" adjustment. Chamfer to your hearts content, you will still smoosh the tranny!!

Never thought of sanding down the tranny - nice solution Bob!!

arioux

Originally posted by ed4copies

WoodnWhimsies replacement trannys seem to fit. (Buy 10 at a time, from their site.)

Why should we buy spare part to fix brand new kits ???????????????????????????????
Is it normal that we consider it OK and will buy spare parts?

If those reseller would care about the product they sell this should not happen. We are on the "who sell the cheapest kit" era.
Are we getting that cheap? Trying to pay 1.35 for crap instead of $2 or $3 for a decent kit? And i include myself, i fell in that trap too, thinking that the price was just a question of markup. I had a 20%+ failure ratio on those kit, some of them i did'nt even have to open the bag.

Somewhere we will understand that we got what we pay for. Ouff !! Just needed to vent, i don't aim at any reseller in particular. They know who they are and some of us start to know too.

Alfred

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alfred,

The reseller did not make the mistake. The manufacturer did.

Unlike the MAJOR reseller, these smaller ones don't have an army of people in "customer service" fixing all the mistakes they make, instead I HOPE the smaller companies will put pressure on the manufacturers for better products.

IF, instead, they hire a bunch of "customer service" people who will send out replacement parts, they will have to incorporate THAT in their costs. And their prices will then escalate. I hope to help them grow and I am willing to endure some problems to get there from here (which is just what happened with the MAJORS ten years ago.)

Not meant to be argumentative, your point IS correct. But, I will hope to help the small guys - maybe we can grow together. As a hopeless romantic, I always think they may remember I treated them well in their early existence. So far, this has ONLY helped with one supplier, but that's still about 20%!@!!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

Alfred,

The reseller did not make the mistake. The manufacturer did.

Unlike the MAJOR reseller, these smaller ones don't have an army of people in "customer service" fixing all the mistakes they make, instead I HOPE the smaller companies will put pressure on the manufacturers for better products.

IF, instead, they hire a bunch of "customer service" people who will send out replacement parts, they will have to incorporate THAT in their costs. And their prices will then escalate. I hope to help them grow and I am willing to endure some problems to get there from here (which is just what happened with the MAJORS ten years ago.)

Not meant to be argumentative, your point IS correct. But, I will hope to help the small guys - maybe we can grow together. As a hopeless romantic, I always think they may remember I treated them well in their early existence. So far, this has ONLY helped with one supplier, but that's still about 20%!@!!!!!

They made quill pen kits????? :D:D

arioux

Ed,

No argument here, i clearly understand your point. Like written, i just needed to vent as it looks like this subject keep coming up and it make sad souvenir comes back:(.
For me the reseller make a mistake when he choose his manufacturer but again, market is asking for those kit and if he is making a leaving on it good for him.

I just don't think that those "el cheapo" manufacturer will listen on the short run. Hope i'm wrong.

Meanwhile, it's shows the kind of good guy you are by standing behind those small reseller and i hope many do. For me, shop time is too precious to waste it on defective kits.

Alfred

zig613

I also recently had a problems with a number of defective transmissions in the slimline kits. Out of 13 pen kits 7 transmissions were defective. The problem was that they didn't lock when twisted into the open position. When downward pressure was applied while writing the refill slowly retracted. The reseller repsonded to my problem quickly and send me a package of transmissions to replace the defective ones.

bkersten

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I was doing the cartridge pens also, and did chamfer the ends before pressing the tip,clip, and tranny in - even run some emery paper in to smooth out any CA that may have coated the inside some. Will just have to watch now. Thanks again. Bob

sbell111

Originally posted by bkersten

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I was doing the cartridge pens also, and did chamfer the ends before pressing the tip,clip, and tranny in - even run some emery paper in to smooth out any CA that may have coated the inside some. Will just have to watch now. Thanks again. Bob
On the next batch of cartridge pens that I make, I think I will to drill drill the brass with a slightly larger drill bit. Perhaps this will allow the tube to expand slightly as the mechanism is pressed in. I figure that brass is cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

sbell111

Originally posted by arioux

Why should we buy spare part to fix brand new kits ???????????????????????????????
Is it normal that we consider it OK and will buy spare parts?

If those reseller would care about the product they sell this should not happen. We are on the "who sell the cheapest kit" era.
Are we getting that cheap? Trying to pay 1.35 for crap instead of $2 or $3 for a decent kit? And i include myself, i fell in that trap too, thinking that the price was just a question of markup. I had a 20%+ failure ratio on those kit, some of them i did'nt even have to open the bag.

Somewhere we will understand that we got what we pay for. Ouff !! Just needed to vent, i don't aim at any reseller in particular. They know who they are and some of us start to know too.

Alfred
I look at it this way, I've only had a problem when making cartridge pens, so I suspect that the problem might be mine, not theirs. Even if it is their issue, the cost of the kits plus the cost of a stock of replacement mechanisms is still less than the cost of the same kits from other vendors.

If I was having problem with some $50 emperor kits, I'd get upset. I won't get upset if a kit that cost a buck and a half occasionally has a fifty cent problem.

Top Bottom